I read in one article that E. coli infection often causes severe bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps. However, sometimes the infection causes non-bloody diarrhea or no symptoms. They also said there is usually little or no fever present, and the illness resolves in 5 to 10 days. I wonder if E. coli causes only these effects, or there is something else? Can you tell me more about this bacterium, because I think that is interesting?

All this that you have read in that article is correct, and all these are E. coli effects on human body. In some persons, particularly children under 5 years of age and the elderly, the infection can also cause a complication called hemolytic uremic syndrome. That is condition, in which the red blood cells are destroyed and the kidneys fail. About 2%-7% of infections with E. coli lead to this complication because of its effects. Persons, who only have diarrhea as effect that E. coli caused, usually recover completely. About one-third of persons with hemolytic uremic syndrome have abnormal kidney function many years later, and a few of them require long-term dialysis. Another 8% of persons with hemolytic uremic syndrome have other lifelong complications. There are currently long-term studies continuing that was looking at the long-term effects of E. coli. Most persons recover without antibiotics or other specific treatment in 5-10 days. There is no evidence that antibiotics improve the course of disease and effects of E. coli. Moreover, it is thought that treatment with some antibiotics may precipitate kidney complications.

Hello there I am very concerned, My sister just informed me my mummy got both mrsa and e-coli whiilst in hospitial is this possible if so, please can you tell me the symptons and the severity of the bug. BLOSSOM