The kid I am babysitting had a scare with some blood in her poop, but the doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics for her, telling her that she was likely suffering from food poisoning. I personally doubt that it is food poisoning, how does food poisoning cause blood in the stool?

There are many different reasons that blood can appear in the stool (poop) and one of these has to do with certain infections. Some types of food poisoning are associated with bleeding: Salmonella, Shigella, invasive E. coli, Campylobacter and Entaomeba histolytica. These bacteria and parasites cause bloody infectious diarrhea because they are invasive. They not only infect and irritate the lining of the small or large bowel and they also invade the lining of our bowel and most will enter the blood stream. The end result from all of this is bleeding, diarrhea, along with campy abdominal pain, fever, and elevated white blood cell count. Antibiotics work very well, I ma sure that her doctor knows what he is doing.