Hi, I have e-coli in the spine. How should I treat it in the fastest possible time?

Hi, I haven’t heard of spine infection by E.coli, but my child had meningitis, when he was born. Meningitis is an inflammation of the coverings of the brain. E. coli meningitis is the commonly seen in newborns, who had difficult birth. Actually, it is spread from mother, so I was really sad. E.coli is usually present in urinary tract or uterus. Perhaps, this infection from head can spread to the spine and that is your case. Or maybe I’m wrong? There are many available antibiotics, that can be used to treat it. And the more important infected organ is, it will take more time to have it cured.

e coli can cause compression fractures of vertebrae. refer to west virginia university orthopedics department...my husband underwent vertebraplasty there last week, very serious, get help.

My wife is suffering from this spinal e-coli infection.She is hospitalized with a swelling of the abdomen accompanied by severe pain as well.
They say the pain comes from the infection.
What ever it is has caused her to become parylized from the waist down. She can no longer walk or even stand. The sad part of the story is no one can give us an explation as to why. No one can stop the pain except by drugs and we would rather not have her become addicted to them. Can anyone offer some suggestions to this situation.

Dear Guest,
   My mother is currently in the hospital with the same condition. It started back in April when she was septic from E coli that started as a bladder infection. She started also with the back  pain and it slowly progressed over the past weeks until last week when they found a infection in her T10 11 12. They tried to take a specimen to see what is growing but it never grew anything. She also got VRE in her urine while she has been in the hospital. They are treating her with heavey antibiotics for the Ecoli and they are telling the family that it can take any where from 3-4 weeks for improvment. My concern is just in the past week and a half she has went from having pain just in her back to now it is in the stomach and all around her abdomen is getting extended. They also never got a definate idea of what she is growing. She has went from taking a percocet to now a Fentanyl patch. She has been on the antiobitics a week and my concern is and I understand it will take time for the pain to go away but I feel she should be getting some what better or be stable. If the antiboitics are working then why is her pain getting worse? If anyone has had this issue please advise. I am concerned that they are missing something and they are just playing a guessing game. If the infection don't get to her the pain and drugs will she has COPD and CHF and DM and other health concerns.

My dad was severe pain in his back for the past 1-2 months before he was admitted to hospital for fever and uncontrollable shaking of his hands.

Doctors discovered that he had liver infection and urinary tract infections and he was treated with anti-boitics for a course of 10 days but was just increased to 14 days. They extended to 14 days because they discovered a mass growth on his spine and needed time for a biopsy. Today the results of the culture showed no E.Coli. Despite that, doctors are still recommending to go ahead with the full course of anti-biotic for 6 weeks to address the suspected E.coli. in the spine. (They thought that the spine is the nest of E.Coli that also causes the liver and urinary infection).

Although there is no E.Coli in the blood after the first day administration of anit-boitics. 

We are still in a dilemna - to go ahead with anti-biotics or not. Dad seems to have responded to the 12 days administration of the anti-biotics- no fever now. less pain when passing urine. 

I would continue with antibiotics. the doctors know what they are doing. Just because there is no e coli in the blood circulating the body doesn't mean there is no e coli in the body hidden in some cavity somewhere. Some bateria can hide in many different places and are hard to find until it grows and spread to the blood system and is then "found" because the blood circulates the bacteria to a place that it can be found.

I am sorry about your mishap... I had osteomyelitis in my L2 vertebral columns which had spread to my Pedicle's. I had it since 2011n got treated in 2015... All I had was back pain that subsided. I was in d hospital for a mth n was treated with the antibiotic curam through iv access n was sent home on d pill form for 2 weeks. Docs said it was cured but I still experience backache.. Just praying for the best. I hope you'll get relief soon

This is Barber K. I want to forget it I don't want to give it out at all and I even later thank you anyway

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

If I decide to go back to it later and I'll let you know

Thanks you very much

thank you very much again

Goodnight I'm done

Goodnight I'm tired of my right now it's going to be last time

My surgery, was major surgery, F8 -S1. After about 10 days, I developed pneumonia and an e coli infection. After which, I had 3 surgeries in succession. Including 2 chest tubes. Fortunately I was in a rehab facility next to the hospital.