Hi, I just returned from my summer vacation, and everything went good, but only negative remark was on the water. I think that it was impure. Our travel agency warned us too late, and after we came back, I got cramps and suddenly after diarrhea. Also I got a mild fever. My aunt said that this could be E. coli infection, any suggestion?

Well it is quite possible, because you were drinking contaminated water. That is one of the few ways of catching E. coli infection. You can also catch it when eating undercooked beef or drinking raw milk. You got some of the symptoms, but you could also experience vomiting, nausea, bloody diarrhea. The best is to contact your doctor ASAP and also to stay in your bed until the stool cultures are negative. The treatment is to drink a lot of water. E. coli infection can cause hemolytic anemia and less possible kidney damage. Good advice for the next time on holiday is to drink bottled water.