My wife has chronic sinuitis and has become resistant to most, if not all, antibiotics. She now has e-coli growing in her sinuses and doctors have told her it is not a problem. Now she is scheduled for surgery to remove the skin inside the sinus.

It appears I have the same issues as your wife, while in the hospital receving antibodits ofr e-colie in my sinsu and now have speutomona another bacteria....I have a great concern. surgery has not be suggested as of yet. I do hope your wife is doing well

I had a sinus infections and had taken three lots of antibiotics but it just would not clear. The pain was then beginning to be more in my ear drum/jaw area. I was home for two days in severe pain begging doctors to do something. They where just giving me panadene forte and then morphene. Out of my nose I was blowing what looked like mince meat. And I would show the doctor and he would say "yes you do have an infection!!".
I had a CT scan done and when my doctor told me they are all clear I just wanted to scream. The pain I was in and what I was feeling and what I was blowing out my nose had to be something.
I demanded I go to a ENT specialist. And thankfully I did. He picked up I had a huge cyst that was so big it was buckling the cartlidge in my nose. And straight to surgery I went. I now have a large hole in my sinus (inside) that will never close over. I have to keep rinsing my sinus with a sinus rinse kit over the next week or so to clear bacteria. It will take a good 6 - 12 months to properly heal around the hole. But I can breathe and the pain has stopped.

I have been sick almost a year now...I've been to many doctors trying to find out what was wrong with me...As I get sicker every day I felt there was not diagnosis in sight...I finally found out the I have tested positive for sinus e coli....When I tell you it has affected my eyesight to vomiting til I could catch my breath, it's been horrible...I go see an infectious disease doctor tomorrow and only hope that I can be cured....I hope everyone who writes in about this type of problem can get help fast and not suffer as I did....My prayers are with you.... ;-)

I have just been diagnosed with sinus E coli infection after I went to my ENT with an opaque flourescent green discharge that would flow out of my nose sporadically ONLY when in a face down, prone postion. A CT scan came back clear and the initial cultre came back normal...I was frustrated.
I persisted with my ENT and the 2nd culture came back positive I am starting Augmentum treatment finally after 2 months. I am told that it can only be transmitted to others IF someone comes in contact with my nasal discharge. I am worried about my young granddaughters and I also go to pulmonary therapy as I have emphysema however the ENT ells me not to worry and that my lungs won't be comprised. Am comments/experience from others would be helpful.
My thanks for this forum for being here!!!

I have just been diagnosed w/ e coli in my sinus after 5 months of heck trying to figure out what is wrong with me and being told I'm crazy nothing is wrong with me! I want to know if anyone has been cured with Amoxicillin for this disease. My doc is putting me on 3 wks of it and says that my son should be ok. Should I have him tested? Thanks for any information you can give me!

My dog was recently diagnosed with e. coli bacteria growing in his sinus cavity. It is not clear as to what caused this, but he is being treated with antibiotics, and he is having huge trouble breathing at night.

Anyone else see manifestation of this problem in dogs? What seems to be the common solution?

Thanks!

here i am post surgery of 2 weeks and was told i should be getting this infection under control but no................. my family of four generations have been fighting everything from sinutitus, pnemonia, to RSV, and i am the main caregiver of the four generations. i am scared to death that i am the cause of it all but none of the doctors will even check anyone else in the family. the antibiotics i am on now are about the fourth or fifth i have been on since before halloween. i am fit to be tied and don't know when my family will finally be healthy again. i still have the severe headaches and the pressure in my head, and still don't know how the hell you get e-coli in your sinus cavities. before surgery i had complete blockage in my right side and about 80% in my left how do they not catch this earlier and what about everyone else.

I just found out after nine months I have e-coli and staph in my sinuses. I would be very interested to find out how the antibiotics are working for everyone. I am on a sulfa drug because the strains of infection were resistant to everything else. I was previously on Augmentin for 30 days (4000 mg) per day and that did nothing. Anyway, hoping antiotics will help, don't want surgery. Nice to know I am not the only one with this.

So far, I've always been able to get rid of my sinus infections by doing daily sinus washes with this recipe:

1 cup distilled water
1 teaspoon xylitol
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

There's a ton of info online about xylitol and it's antibacterial nature.
Hope this helps.

It took 8 months and 3 drs to see a ENT in nashville. It came back positive for ecoli sinus infections. Im on my second corse of antibiotics that ive now been on for 20 days. the CT scan came back normal as did the second nasal culture im not sure i believe it because I dont feel any diffrent and still have swelling in my face and nose. My sinuses are blocked by air sacks in my turbonates on both sides with a cist on my deviated septum. Im at a complete loss as to how and why this has happened and cant find a reason for how ecoli got in my sinuses. I just pray that the ENT listens to me at my appointment in 2 days. And hope to hear from anyone who is suffering from similar or same problems i am. The pain in my sinuses is horrible and all I was givin was the antibiotic Clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day.   My dr stated that Ecoli is a gram negative bacteria cant be cured by penicillin drugs but drugs made for those allergic to it. It confuses the bacteria stops the growth and with a diffrent type maybe levaquin to kill it completely. good luck to you all...

I also have been diagnosed with sinus e coli. My ENT said i have had for a long time. I have taken @ least 15 different antibiotic's and nothing is working. I have made an appt with infectious disease Dr. Hopefully he can help. I just read a report in popular mechanics on a new strain of e coli that is immune to anti's. A reseacher in CA has had succces with protein and polymers that break down in body. I am taking article to him for reference.

I had surgery .. and had another test done and the e coli is still in my sinuses. Now they want to send me to a infectious desease specialist to see if IV treatments can kill the bacteria.. right now i really feel confused and wishing someone would hear my prayers and this infection will be gone soon so i can live my life.

I have had ecoli in my sinuses last year which they treated me with 5 months of Intravenous antiobiotics. The Infectious disease Doctor finally cured me with Zosyn but now 8 months later, the ecoli tested positive again in my sinus culture, NOW showing I am resistant to the Zosyn which initially killed it. There is only 2 antibiotics left that will kill this train so I am waiting on starting IV treatment again to see if I can live with this. I keep thinking this will literally be the death of me soon. Scared for my life !:'(

E-Coli sinus infections can be caused by Septic Tank or Sewer Gas

venting into the house do to clogged vents or clogged plumbing bell traps.