I know much about bacteria called Escherichia coli. I know because I used to be infected, but after few days of diarrhea, condition improves without therapy. Anyway, now I am worried because I have to do surgery soon. Can you tell me if that is possible for me to become infected again, and could it be dangerous to get E. coli after surgery? I have heard it is possible to occur, so now I am a little bit worried.

I suppose you have heard for cases of infections after open-heart surgical procedures. Fortunately, this is rare and uncommon with appropriate prophylactic antibiotics and careful aseptic technique. When serious infection, such as sternal osteomyelitis, does occur, the effects are devastating. Usually it requires one or more debridement procedures. The organisms usually implanted in postoperative sternal infections are primarily Staphylococcus aureus and gram-negative bacilli. Common gram-negative pathogens such as Escherichia coli are very unusual in this setting; you should not be worried about it. It was a case of E. coli sternal osteomyelitis in a diabetic patient after coronary artery bypass grafting. You did not specify which surgery your doctor is attempting to perform, so I cannot tell you exactly prognosis. I just think your doctor need to check you up and see if you are cured of E. coli infection. If you are ok, operation done sterile as it should be, is not supposed to bring you post operative E. coli infection.

I broke my leg and after setting my leg within two week I had a serious e-coli infection. I do not understand how I got an infection in my leg that was never expose to anything. It has covered the entire time . Please let me know any and all possiblities

My wife had knee replacement surgery and after the surgery contracted sepsis which was found to be caused by the ecoli bacteria. I it is possible to get e coli in the blood leading to sepsis after an operation.

Yes. My wife had scar tissue removed after knee surgery. The knee did not heal correctly and was turning colors. We returned to the Drs. office and saw the PA. He took x rays and sais everything looked Ok. I asked him if he could remove some of the accumulated fluid to ease the pain. He said no. We then went to another doctor who took blood samples and found that ny wife had e coli she was immediately put into surgery and had the knee removed cleaned out another knee put in and wnet through six weeks of antibiotic treatment every day. The e coli had gotten into her blood and had she waited another two days well it would have been all over. Oh then she had to take one antibiotic pill per day for six weeks after the infusions. True story.

My 80 yr. old Mother went in for a biopsy of a tumor on the outside of her small intestine. She became ill within two weeks. No one even mentioned she could get an infection that could kill her. No one seemed to care much after her surgery. I took her to the ER at another hospital. Her blood pressure was so low, I thought she would die that night, but they gave her blood transfusions and pulled her through it. She was on antibiotics in the hospital, and within 2 days had a heart attack, due to a piece of the biopsy tissue entering her blood stream and stopping her heart. The doctors revived her but she had problems speaking and writing and couldn't raise herself up. From there she went down hill and requested to be taken home to die, which I honored her wishes. She died from e-coli that effected her brain, intestines and other body parts, but the doctor who represents the Hospice, stated on her death certificate that she died from ovarian cancer, which she never had. She was a cervical cancer survivor of over 5 years. The tumor was malignant but had not metastasized. She didn't need the biopsy, because she had already had 2 PET scans a couple weeks before, and if I wouldn't have allowed her to have a biopsy she may still be alive today. She was set up to have the tumor removed by the hospital that I took her to, but died before they could preform the surgery.