Hello, my boyfriend and I were talking about starting a family and having children, and I’m now in situation where I really don’t know what to do. My boyfriend’s younger sister has EDS or Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which I did know since she had a surgery for intestinal problems about a year ago. That seemed to be just the start of her problems and she is feeling better now, but it’s just a question of time for how long.

However, now the problem is, ehlers is a genetic disorder and there are some chances our child might have it. From the little information I found, we should first go for the genetic testing to see how big those chances are. I’m unemployed and I can’t really say when we’ll have the money for genetic testing, so I’m hoping someone could help me at least understand can the chances be as big as 50%?

Hello, Guest!  Upon researching statistics on Ehlers-Danlos syndroms (EDS) is seems that the prevalence of EDS in general is 1 in 40,000 people worldwide.  As far as your situation, it appears as long as your boyfriend and his parent do not have EDS, any offspring that he has should be fine. It is only if one of his parents has EDS or if he has it that there would be a 50% chance of his having an baby with EDS.  I hope this helps!

Are there any people with EDS or knows someone with EDS that have children and if so, did the children have the syndrome, too?

Check out EDNF.org. It is possible that your boyfriend has EDS and doesn't even know. Men tend to have fewer symptoms than women. Is he bendy?