After my sonogram I found out that amnion and chorion are separated. I’m 16 weeks pregnant. Is this serious?

This is a rare member abnormality. If separation grows larger it could lead to miscarriage. You are advised to rest. Between 14th and 16th week of pregnancy amnion and chorion fuse together. Before 14th week is normal that amnion and chorion be separated. If after 16th week there is still no fusion between amnion and chorion, this can be associated with preterm delivery or even some chromosomal abnormalities. Down syndrome is one of chromosomal abnormalities. Have another appointment and talk with your doctor, or maybe ask for second opinion.

Hello hadleigh,

Did your doctor schedule another checkup or ordered you to do some more tests? I’m guessing that he or she is probably waiting a bit more to see if amnion and chorion will fuse naturally, but if this does not happen soon, you might need some additional hormonal treatment to speed up the fetal development.

In this situation, when there is a risk of some genetic disorder such as the Down syndrome, chances are that the doctor will order you to do some more genetic blood testing, as well as amniotic fluid testing. Hopefully, amnion and chorion will fuse soon and there will be no need, but you still will have to monitor what exactly is going on. Wish you all the best!