Hi!

I have been smoking for 3 years and I stopped smoking around 2 weeks. What worries me is that for the past year I have basically chest pains and recently I begun having a consistent cough and some an occasional mucus (yellowy/brown). Should I be worried that I have lung cancer? Or could it be something else that I have? Because one thing is for sure... this is a sign that there is something wrong.

Hey, I'm 21 and I also smoke. Talk about being paranoid. I started smoking 3 years ago too. If you just quit and are beginning to have a cough that's normal. I quit for 3 months once and a consistent cough immediately after smoking it your body's way of getting used to all the decent oxygen (it says it on the facts of quitting in the nicorette instructions). Don't worry about the cough and the mucus. It's normal. Don't freak. But if you're really scared, get an X-ray done.

If you're smoking weed the chances is you DONT have lung cancer. If its cigs your body is used to smoking cigs and then thats how cigs become addicting. You want to stop coughing then you smoke more and more. it takes about 3 months for the cough to completly stop. :-D

I'm 20 years old myself, and I just quit smoking ciggerettes and weed recently after 3 years. I experienced coughing up yellow and brown mucous also, I believe that mucous was just stained from smoke inhalation. I quit after I noticed breathing difficulties and under the belief that I was developing poor circulation. I had some veins that were blue and increasingly visible in my arms, likely due to smoking, a little too much greasy foods, and a lack of exercise. I haven't seen a doctor or anything yet but the thought has definitely crossed my mind. Am I experiencing anything out of the ordinary?

I'm 17 years old and i started smoking when i was 13, which i am not so proud of. I have attempted to quite numerous time and fail. Yet i could answer some of your questions. Coughing is normal when quitting and so is yellow and brown mucus, most people refer to it as fl-em. Which may go on for months and it perfectly normal and will decrease in time. If you have been smoking many years it is recommended to see a doctor . If are struggling to quite smoking i would urge you to try nicotrol, it is a nicotine nasal spray which is surprisingly effective.

Hey people.

I'm 18 years old and just quit smoking three days ago after having smoked for 5 years now.

It's strange, I was all worried about cancer as well, but I quit for other reasons.
I'm sure it's possible to get cancer after only smoking for a short amount of time, but I'm thinking that it's just highly improbable.
Doctors have a way of dancing around definite answers concerning such questions, because "everyone is different". It's true, but it's still frustrating to hear.

I actually quit smoking because I pieced together that nicotine addiction is a sort of conspiracy put in motion by tobacco companies and therefore, the government. Buying cigarettes promotes pointless consumerism, which, let's face it, this ENTIRE society is based upon. While promoting aimless consumerism, the smoker is also partaking in a sort of government-sponsored population control. Basically, in the eyes of the government, anyone stupid enough to smoke deserves to die. We give our money and power to big tobacco and in return they MURDER us. Not so much of a fair trade. If you know of anyone who smokes and is politically open-minded in the least, maybe you should relay this to them.

It's not to late to break the mental chains set in place by big tobacco. If I can do it, anyone can.

ADDICTION = SLAVERY

Anti-product that has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Yes cigarettes kill... as well as tobacco companies make money off of selling cigarettes. The government though has done multiple things to prevent people from smoking including raising taxes as well as putting pictures on boxes of lung cancer (soon to be executed). And to say that you can quit cigarettes after five years and comparing that experience to people who have been smoking for decades is just ignorant. The fact is that tobacco is one of the top products sold worldwide and not a "government-sponsored population control." I do smoke and I do not recommend it to anyone who has not tried it but it a choose that is a conscious one. Overall, smoking a cigarette takes about seven minutes away from your life on average so no matter if you have been smoking for 3 months, 3 years or 30 years you are constantly shortening your life. You also can receive lung cancer (and any other health issue associated with smoking) from never smoking.

i am 15 years old and i had been smoking ciggs for 2 years and my throat hurts and im coughing green brownish spits and i wannted to know if you can get lung cancer in 2 years and im 15 years old

best thing to do is to go to your gp to get a scan to be on the safe side

thats is bad and yes can have cancer

hi i am 16 year old i smoke 2 year and i stop smoking....becuse my lungs is faillll......not somking you please..

I am 20 years of age, just turned 20 this august! i smoke weed and tobacco every day and i have had a bad cough for a few months, i got really worried about my breathing and chesty cough so decided to go to the doctor! i havent been to one for 3 years either! i have been smoking for about 3-4 years too! and the doctor made me get an xray in the next 48 hours gave me an inhaler and 11 tablets to take daily! so here i am waiting on my results from the xray and im sh**ting myself :l

hey im 21 and i smoke for 3 years , ive had my breaks for about 1 months 2 or 3 months sometimes 2 weeks.  ive had pain in my chest .. and what really bothered me was that i started feeling short of breathe.. i never had the whole muscus problem.. but at one point i couldnt cough like i use to back in my early smoking days.. my last month of smoking i became really paranoid and everytime i smoked i felt really bad and my concious killed me lol .. man i had pannic attacks because i thought bad things would happen.. the more i thought the worse i felt.. i havent smoked in 5 weeks. my friends pressure me but i cant anymore EVER..  dont smoke man it messes up your mental health and still now sometimes when i get sick or hurt i think i have cancer of all types.. what if .. and think can i die from being sick.. i now have bad allergies.. i ve been getting sick more .. im done for life... and i never smoked ciggarettes.. im a female too...

Hello ,Guys ! I am a doctor and I say the chances of developing lung cancer in 3 or 5 years of smoking is pretty rare . Cancer does not happen in a day ! It happens due to chronic irritation ! If you take 20 cigarettes a day and for10 years your chances are more ! But , still not guaranteed ! Symptoms of lung cancer will breathlessness , chest pain ,heaviness of lungs ,coughing out of blood and EXCESSIVE WEIGHT LOSS . Around 5-7kgs a month . The skin takes a different appearance ! It becomes dry and patchy and dark ,may be becauseof less blood supply and improper tissue perfusion . Cancer wont tickle , it will make you feel it's appearance with strong symptopms .

I smoke for 2 years now . I tried several times te stop but I'v failed all the time. Im going to try nicotrol and see if it words for me. God bless