I would appreciate if someone could tell me more about emphezema. My mother was diagnosed with it one week ago. We are all worried about her. Is her condition dangerous and what is the treatment for it?

Emphysema is a chronic lung disease that ofter time only gets worse. It causes a loss of elasticity in the walls of the small air sacs in lungs. Eventually, the walls stretch and break which leads to creation of larger and less efficient air sacs that are not able to handle the normal exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. The main symptoms of emphysema are shortness of breath and a reduced capacity for physical activity. Emphysema can make eating more difficult and a person loses a will to eat, which leads to weight loss. The most important step in treatment plan for smokers with emphysema is stopping smoking. it's the only way to stop additional damage to already damaged lungs. I have to say that there is no cure for emphysema but it is possible to slow down the disease and make it easier to live with the symptoms. I wish your mother all the best.