My Name is Dee and I quit smoking in Feb. It is now October 28th and I feel worse today than I did when I was smoking. I quit smoking because Heart disease is common in my family and i had just found out my younger brother age 42 has heart disease . I became concernec enough that it made me quit. Well I must say, I can not believe i felt better when I smoked. Since I quit, I have had cat scans, lung scans, a left and right heart catherization and so many other tests its insane. They Find NOTHING. the only thing that was discovered is Sleep apnea , so now i look like an alien when i go to bed with this mask on.

I just dont know what to do about how I constantly feel like I am gasping for air. Its like someone is holding their hand over my mouth and nose and they only let me take tiny bits of air in.
Its almost feels like im suffocating.

Hello Dee,

I am interested in your post..

I too just quit 4 weeks ago.

I smoked for about 10 years, and in the last 3 years I was on about 20 a day.

I am turning 30, and am gasping for air constantly.

Not sure what is wrong. I went to the doctors, and they say all is fine.. but I too am struggling to breathe..

Without being an alarmist, it sounds like you might have the beginnings of Emphysema or COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). What happens is that when you smoke, chemicals in the cigarettes paralyze your lungs and you don't realise the damage they are causing. When you quit, the tiny cilia hairs inside your lungs begin to function again and your Emphysema or COPD is brought to the surface.

You can't expect to smoke and get away with it. Smoking causes all kinds of terrible, permanent health issues. Emphysema and COPD are just a couple of them. You can expect that this will be permanent and over time (many many years), it will worsen (as your lungs naturally deteriorate with age). You will likely end up with an oxygen mask around your mouth to be able to do even the simplest of things such as walking.

I know, i'm only 46 - i quit 8 years ago after smoking for 12 years a pack a day (or not even) and that's how i am now.

That was actually quite alarmist to be frank- you just told them that they unavoidably have emphysema or copd!
Reading through other forums, it seems like this is the body's normal physiological response once you have quit. Period of length presumably changes with each person. It may well be a different situation with the original poster (who has had difficulties for 8 months), but lets not get ahead of ourselves :D

I too quit smoking about 2 months ago. I am feeling chest congestion like it's no body's business!!! My doctor told me that it was the normal progression. The tiny hairs in our lungs are damaged and it depends on how long you've been smoking as well. Obviously, check with your doc, but it sounds like it's par of the course. Good luck!

I quit smoking in January last year after having smoked for 16 years - 1 pack a day for about 12 years and 2 packs a day for about 4 years....that's alot of smoking!!!! It has been over a year and a half since i quit smoking - the first year i couldn't breath!! I went to hospital, to a pulmonologist, had all the tests - everyone told me it was stress and that my lungs were 'tip top'. I thought - no way - not the amount i've smoked!!!!

I am now starting to feel better - slowly but surely....although it's taking a long long time....i no longer feel the constant anxiety feeling and short of breath....now its only on occasion if i'm stressed out....

If you NEVER smoke again, you will slowly slowly feel better....but don't smoke again - smoking only ever makes your health worse - not better...quitting will stop your health from getting worse prematurely!!!!!

good luck to you.

I have smoked for 15+ Years. I weaned Myself off, I call it (Cold Turkey!) since that is what it was! I smoked 1 per day for a week or 2, then eventually I was done with it all together...

Since I've quit smoking,, I have found myself in heart pumping situations, Scary ones! But i've ignored it... Not only that,, But since I've quit I find myself feeling like I am (Smuthering) Like I am inhaling the proper amount of air from the world,, My Lungs just arent Extracting enough oxygen from the air sometimes. When that happens I feel like I am smuthering, Like I can't get the needed oxygen in me.

This only happens to me on somedays, Where others I am find... I remember right after I quit smoking I could run half a mile and breath like a Champ, I couldn't believe how amazing I could breath! Shortly after that never happened again and the smuthering followed. Somedays I breath better than others...

All I know is it's something to do with your lungs, And I'm still on a mission to figure out what allows you to breath like a champ.

Personally, I think your lungs need time to heal, as well as something to help you rid of the stuff in there (As It doesn't seem to be coming out on its own.)

Well, clearly you do not have specialist knowledge in this area since these disorders, COPD and Emphysema are extremely serious, and they only happen to very long term smokers - average 20 cigarettes for minimum 20 years !!! However, emphysema has a tendency of attacking smokers of 30-40 years. And none of our forum colleagues have smoked for that long and hence, DO NOT WORRY people.

Human body is especially strong and even if you smoke, it won't give in easily to any diseases or disorders. It takes a lot of years and a lot of smoking to actually be at risk. There is a specialist scheme for doctors to calculate the chances of getting ill from smoking, and believe me, you would be surprised that smoking is not as devil as they say. After smoking 15-20 cigs a day for 10 years, you are probably as healthy as anybody!

As to breathing difficulties, I have those myself which is scary, but it is true that it will take time to clear, I gave up 8 months ago and the breathing is not getting any better. I'm gonna give it time, my doctor is not concerned at all and he said I am not at risk of any diseases and should just let it go.

Good luck to everybody!

Another thing to take into consideration is allergies. I quit 3 months ago and after a few weeks of quitting, I was itching like crazy and was having extreme sinus pain that caused migraines. I knew I had allergies in the past and went to get tested, and was allergic to about 40 things. They're now doing allergy shots. Anyway, my allergist told me that smoking can inhibit mast cell production (something like that) and that covers up allergic reactions. It's also more difficult to breathe when one has allergies, so you may have allergies as well that are now coming to surface. I feel like I'm gasping for air frequently, but it's worse after an allergy shot, when my body is fighting off allergens. I'm sure some of it is related to quitting smoking itself (since trouble breathing sounds common amongst quitters), but some of it is allergies. Something to think about.

I quit smoking little over a month ago and a week after my last cigarette I experienced my first episode of asthma in my life. Since then my allergies and asthma have been so bad that I even suspected having bed bugs in my house. If anyone finds a cure for this situation please let us know here!

I have been a heavy smoker since age 15. I am now 58 and have smoked at least a pack a day and two packs if drinking beer with the boys type thing. I did a lot of that too. I was raised in a smoking environment as it was the "thing to do" back then so I've really been breathing it in since birth. I was also a painting contractor in the trade since age 17 working around very potent finishes and solvents at times but you'll not find that in the causes for health problems on T V. I quit Sept 24 out of defiance and a sore throat that may be caused by my acid reflux condition. I decided enough was enough and that was the end of it. No side effects or urges whatsoever. It was no different to me than someone forgetting their water bottle at home or something(no I never fell for that one either, paying for water like a pet rock). You do need to "want to quit" though.

Sure, smoking is a bad habit but all this "second hand smoke" nonsense and the brainwashing you to hate your neighbor for fouling your airspace is a "smokescreen" (pun intended) to keep the masses from knowing the real truth about the hundreds of pollutants we breath daily in homes, cars, buildings, from paints, glues, caulking, plastics, carpet, exhaust from big trucks, buses, ships, planes, construction machinery, industry, building materials and more. Smoking takes a lifetime to kill you yet the media would have you believe being near a smoker is "dangerous" to your health. What about when the black cloud of diesel smoke hits you in the face from the train or bus? Wake up! They make millions keeping us afraid and on medications.

I read all your comments about breathing issues after quitting smoking and would like to share my personal experience with a cheap and easy way to get that gunk out of your lungs faster! Before I let out all the excitement I would like to let you all know that I am a 32 year old female and smoked since the age of 12! I have desperately tried to quit smoking and I am not going to give up until I do! My father died July 21st from smoking crack cocaine and I hope to change the pattern of smoking and drug abuse that has killed most of my family members. I am basically the only one left now, but I do have 3 wonderful children that I want to be here and healthy as long as I can for them. So back to the breathing issues everyone is having. I started having trouble breathing and started coughing alot about 9 months ago. I found something interesting on the internet and it was called (Hydrogen Peroxide Therepy). This elder man has been doing it for 20 years and he has a video on web and youtube possibly. I don't have a link but will explain what I read and please google it to get exact recipe and info please. This HP therepy is simply hydrogen peroxide (food grade) and distilled water (no chlorine). This man claimed he sprays and breaths in this several times a day for energy and good lung health. I have had so many lung issues as a smoker over the years and sick and tired of the antibiotics and cough medicines that don't work anyway. I was really skeptical about breathing in this stuff but you got to figure if your brave enough to smoke a ciggerette with all those chemicals in it, why in the world would it matter if you tried something to possibly help your lungs out----right? So I didn't have food grade but was desperate to try this and the old guy doesn't use food grade but it is neccesary if you keep using ok. So, so, so I mixed some up in some spring water 50/50 brown bottle hydrogen peroxide (for boo boos) yes. I blew out all the air I could and slowly breathed and sprayed about 5 fine mists into my lungs, then hmm cleared my throat and noticed the tingle in my mouth from the bubbles of hydrogen fighting all that bacteria and gave a few good coughs and woolah and big glob of yellow brown mucus came up. I had been coughing for about 5 days prior and nothing, nothing came out. Now that was frustrating! I was so impressed I did it again about 10 minutes later and another ugly blob came out! I felt a little light headed but I also felt energized after doing this. Obviously our bodies are not getting enough oxygen when we smoke and the hydrogen peroxides oxygen bubbles seem to gather and clump all that mucus c**p we put in our lungs and alows us to much easier cough it out for good. I was dry coughing all day and night for 5 days prior to trying this HP therepy and I would say after using it about 5 or 6 times in 2 days the chest pain and cough were gone! I got the cough back a few months later and repeated with same amazing results. I have been busy since my father died and havn't done all the research I would like to do on this subject but you can check this site called ( drink H202). Also make sure to google Hydrogen Peroxide therepy, I just did and it is now being tested on emphasema and lung cancer patience to help them cough up mucus but it is being used through an IV instead. I would almost bet all of you will breath better after trying this and have more energy too! Please just try it out I am telling you it is amazing and I would love to hear anyones reply on it. We all need to breath better to live a good life just do it! I am sure you have a fine mist spray bottle and some hydrogen peroxide in your bathroom and some water. Blessings to all of you!

I am having the same problem, I was told the first full year of quiting can be very very hard on the lungs, they are healing and we are more prone to infection than a non smoker or a smoker. So You sound like you are going through perfectly normal situations, If however you have chest pain and swalloing problems swollen throat and your back is in lots of pain from the breathing issues, you should get tested for asthma. Maybe you need an inhaller.

I too have the same problem. Also I have a hoarse voice. No cold and no sore throat just hoarseness. All of your posts are very informative and I thanks you. Don't be an alarmist, I agree with that and with the post warning of all the other polutants that we breathe in everyday. They are just so bad for all of us. The human body is amazing and I am sure we will all get through this. Thanks and God bless you all!

Hello all I quit smoking 9 months ago after smoking 1 pack+ a day for over 10 years. Since I quit I gained about 40 pounds, I have been very sick 4 times with strep throat, bronchitis, etc. I got a little cold about 6 weeks ago with a cough and I still have the cough and it seems to be getting worse.
  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***