My wife is 37 and she has just been diagnosed with scleraderma. The first thing that started happening is that she started changing skin color around her hands and her face as well as hands began to get thicker and thicker. Now she has some kind of sores on her arms and she is really devastated and so am i. I can’t understand why this is happening and I would really like to hear about the outcomes of the disease. Is the disease hereditary?

Hello. I am very sorry to hear about your wife. Unfortunately, the disease is chronic and progressive and it usually affects adults, mainly women, of your wife’s age. The problem with schleroderma is that it is incurable and that only some of the symptoms may be managed. Medicaments may be prescribed to prevent complications which may involve internal organs. The sad story is that scientists are still very confused about the disease, the causes and the treatments. Studies are being conducted about finding a better treatment way but so far there is nothing definite. The risk of developing internal organ damage is within first three years. If it doesn’t occur in the first 3 years, then the risk is decreased. Your wife’s doctor will decide upon treatment depending on your wife’s symptoms. Work closely with a doctor.

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I lost my mother in 1998 to this disease. It went to her liver and she was unable to get a transplanet fast enough. She would blot out like she was 9 months pregnant and I was adopted because she could not have kids. she was diagnosed in October of 1997 and past on March of 1998. They told her she had a year to 2 years to live and only lived 6 months.

Please prepare yourself for the changes. My mother was in and out of consiousnous and the hospital on a daily to weekly visit. Her amonia level shot out of wack. This was the hardest thing I think a person could go through because you can not help them. She became very mean and did not want to talk or see anyone (not even my father) please do not take this seriously for they have no recolition of what is being said or done by them. It will hurt at first but remember they love you when there are all there. It really hurts to see any one suffer from this and I would not wish this on my worst enemy. You watch them go through what seems like pain and you are helpless.

Tina

hi my nana got diagnosed awhile ago she 65 and its affecting her finger and toe joint and in the sides of her knees also her face and feet, her feet are very bad and she has diffuculty walking, the pain never leaves and gets worse as the day goes on. is there anything anyone can suggest (excluding drugs) to help my nana please email me its breaking my heart to see her in so much pain.

my email address is _[removed]_

I was diagnosed with schleraderma at the age of 8. I was also diagnosed with JRA and dermiatitis. I have been in remission for over 30 years. I have been married for 17 years and have two beautiful daughters. They are 16 and 11 years old. They are healthy and strong.