My wife is in fourth month of pregnancy and lately she told me something strange. She said how she feels something like numbness in her legs. I am worried usually for her, and especially now when she told me this. I want to know if that is normal and if she should visit her gynecologist and report these sensations, she feels lately. Can it be harmful for her or baby that she feels numbness during pregnancy?

As your wife’s uterus grows, it rests on some of the nerves that go to her legs. Some of these nerves may be compressed if your legs are swollen from retaining water. This retaining is very common with pregnant women, known as edema. Pressure on these nerves can cause numbness or tingling in legs or toes. That is not something that should make you or your wife worried, but is normal reaction of her body to growing of your baby. The condition with numbness is rarely serious. Probably it will go away after baby is born. The same symptoms may occur in arms, hands, or fingers in pregnant women. In addition, there is one condition, called carpal tunnel syndrome, which can cause burning, tingling, or numbness in one or both of the hands and may make fingers go numb. With your wife, numbness is caused by her pregnancy and noting strange, so take it easy.

These symptoms almost the same with mine. I have numbness on my arms, and right now my pregnancy is entering 5 months. I just wonder can this symptoms caused by lack of vitamins? can I consume vit B such as neurobion to reduce it?

I am a doctor looking up another patient's complaints (didn't locate it) however want you to know how common carpal tunnel syndrome is during pregnancy. This results in numbness or pain in hands sometimes radiating up to the neck. Do the prayer stretch with both hands every ten minutes while awake for a few seconds to a minute each time. (Make sure you feel a good stretch in the palmar side of the wrist each time.) Also go get a set of wrist splints that are comfortable to sleep in at night every night. This should eventually go away shortly after you deliver, however if it does not, or gets really bad, ask your doctor for a referral to a neurologist for electrical studies to find out exactly what is happening.

Good luck!