I was diagnosed with esophagitis two weeks ago. Before that, I had problems with abdominal pain. It was always there, so one day I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me. I would like to know more about this condition. Thanks

The esophagus is the food tube that carries food and liquid from the mouth to the stomach. When stomach acid and digestive enzymes repeatedly reflux into the esophagus, this leads to inflammation and ulceration of the tissues. This inflammation is known as esophagitis and esophageal ulcers develop when the inflammation is severe. Esophagitis can be caused by excessive vomitng, surgery, and medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, potassium etc. Certain infections, such as a fungus infection and viruses, can occur in the esophagus and also cause inflammation. Irradiation and caustic substances also can cause esophagitis but acid reflux from the stomach, is by far the most common cause of this condition. Heartburn occurs when acid refluxes into the esophagus and it is experienced as a burning sensation in the lower chest and may be felt up the esophagus. In cases of severe esophagitis, swallowing may cause pain when food reaches the part of the esophagus affected by this condition.