I was diagnosed with acid reflux disease, and now I would like to know more about it. I always had some felling of fluttering, at least now I know what is going on with me. Please give me some details about it. I have nobody around me who knows at least anything about this problem, so you are my only way out.

Stomach is filled with acid and its purpose is to help digest the food you eat. Your stomach is built to handle this acid but your esophagus is not. Acid reflux disease is a chronic condition and may lead to more serious medical conditions because it can wear away or erode the lining of the esophagus. When acid backs up into esophagus, it can cause the burning sensation known as heartburn and almost everyone has occasional heartburn. If these symptoms occur two or more days a week for at least three months, it is a sign of acid reflux disease or GERD. Acid reflux occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter does not close properly, allowing acid to back up into the esophagus. In short, acid reflux disease is chronic heartburn. The good news is that acid reflux is treatable. You should ask your doctor what treatments are available and right for you.

I have had the same fluttering sensations off and on for two weeks and paid for an on-line opinion from an internal medicine specialist. He thinks that it is probably excessive acid in the stomach which I believe may be the case because I have been eating late and drinking water, even when I wake up during the night. I have an appointment with my gastrointestinal physician later this week and expect him to confirm the diagnosis. If so, I will continue with a bland diet and start eating an apple each nite before going to sleep since I have heard that is the most effective remedy, bypassing the expensive purple pill. The on-line specialist also asked that I get an EKG to rule out a cardiac arrhythmia which sometimes manifests itself as stomach fluttering so I plan to do that also.