I feel this terrible burning sensation behind the trachea. It is been over a week since it started and I was hope that will stop. What could be the possible cause? Do I need to see a doctor or I can solve this on my own? I’ll appreciate any suggestion. Thank you.

The esophagus is located just behind the trachea. It is the long hollow, muscular tube that moves food from the mouth into the stomach through rhythmic contractions. Sphincters are Muscles located at both ends of the esophagus. When the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach fails, the stomach enzymes and acids that digest food reflux back up into the esophagus. This irritates the esophageal lining and creating the burning sensation we know as heart burn. This is GERD and we all experience it occasionally. Some people do not need treatment, because the symptoms are brief, but if they are persistent they can damage the esophageal lining.