I was diagnosed with esophagitis one week ago. I would like to know more about this condition. How did I get it and what is the treatment? Will I be ok? I would appreciate any information that I can get.

Esophagitis is inflammation of esophagus caused by backflow of acid-containing fluid from the stomach to the esophagus. This condition is called gastroesophageal reflux. Esophagitis can also be caused by excessive vomitng, surgery, and some medications. Also, in patients with HIV and certain medications, esophagitis may be caused by an infection of the esophagus. The infection or irritation may cause the tissues to become inflamed and this can sometimes cause ulcers. Difficulty swallowing can be experienced and a burning sensation in the esophagus. Treatment depends on the specific cause and reflux disease is usually treated with medications to reduce acid. However, the infections will require antibiotics and if untreated, esophagitis may cause severe discomfort. This can lead to malnutrition or dehydration, and eventual scarring of the esophagus. I am sure that you will be ok as long as you are monitored by your doctor.

Esophagitis can also be caused by food allergies they are finding. My son was diagnosed recently and was put on Pulmicort but taken orally mixed with Splenda sugar packets to coat the esophagus. The food allergies caused these cells to form on his esophagus and i guess the steroids help reduce the inflamation. So along with avoiding the foods hes allergic too along with an anti reflux medication it helps to reduce the irritation.