I am having sharp pain in my chest when swallowing food. I think I might have had a "cheeze-it" get stuck when swallowing it but I am not sure if that was the cause. It has been almost a week. The pain has gotten better but is still there. I went to the doc and they just prescribed me penicillin and some other liquid to drink to relieve pain. I have been smoking for ten years and actually just made the decision to quit almost right before this pain started. I am worried it might be a sign of throat cancer, Anyone had thgis issue before?

It is unlikely you have throat cancer. But having something stuck in your throat certainly could have irritated the esophagus causing the pain.

You could also have an inflammation of your esophagus. The most common reason the esophagus gets irritated and inflamed is because of reflux. If you have experienced any stomach pains or heart burn along with your swallowing difficulty, then this could explain the problem. 

You should also consider some infections that can cause irritation of the esophagus. Both a viral infection and fungal infections are possible, but in someone that is otherwise healthy, they do not often produce symptoms.

Finally, you could have an esophageal ring or web which is obstructing the movement of food which causes pain when you swallow. Because the causes of this problem are many, you would be best served to visit your primary care physician first. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may get a chest x-ray and give you a trial of a stomach acid medication. If your doctor is concerned, you may warrant a referral to a gastroenterologist to perform an endoscopy evaluation of your esophagus.