New Reply New Topic Followed by 12 people

I read on the web about some supposed wondrous benefit of cider vinegar - for weight loss, arthritis, low libido or whatever. I was wondering can vinegar cure acid reflux. I ma suffering from acid reflux and it seems that my esophagus has been damaged a little from acid.

Since cider vinegar and vinegar in general is a mild acid, it makes no sense to take it for a condition that involves damage to the esophagus from acid reflux. Vinegar isn't as acidic as the normal stomach contents, but we are talking about reflux damage to the esophagus, so why would you want to add more acid in this situation? Taking vinegar to an acid-damaged esophagus makes as much sense as trying to douse a gasoline fire by adding kerosene.

Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar cured my acid reflux immedietly! It is worth a try and has other wonderful health benefits.

Guest wrote:

Where do you find the raw organic apple cider vinegar and how much how
often did you drink it?

I tried apple cider vinegar for my acid reflux and it seems to be a cure. I have very bad reflux from everything but water. I dont know why it works but it seems to.

tried and true, apple cider vinegar does relieve acid reflux. just a teaspoon full in a glass of water brings about relief within minutes, try it

My wife has acid reflux. She tried Bragg's ACV and it made matters worst. She was on Nexium which removes all you stomach acid. Not good. Therefore, we tried two things that has worked. She is now on a product called Digest More, and she also uses Lilly Of The Desert Aloe Vera Gel. The gel, I believe, makes a huge difference. Lilly is the only Aloe that seems to work. She takes the Digest More and a shot or two of Aloe Vera before each meal...No more Nexium required....

I'd been tested in a hospital for acid reflux after all heart tests proved negative. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it felt like my chest was being crushed. It was determined after the extensive exam that the flap going into my stomach was damaged, but that nothing cold be done. A year later I bumped into a family friend who was a holistic doctor. I explained the symptoms, etc. He asked me if I drank coffee and how much. He said to try not drinking coffee for a week and see what happened. The reflux stopped immediately and never returned until I started drinking it again. He explained that caffeine makes the flap relax, it's as simple as that. However, on rare occasion, after drinking coffee or cola, I'd get some reflux. So I had read about apple cider vinegar in a natural cure book and told my wife I was going to try it the at the next occurrence. Sure enough, after falling off the coffee wagon one weekend, I got some severe heartburn. I took a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which made no sense whatsoever, held my nose, and down it went, burning all the way. What happened next was truly amazing as the pain instantly vanished and the reflux never surfaced again and since then I have only had to use it once again. That was two years ago.

I have suffered for years with horrible acid reflux. I have tried every over the counter and prescription medication with no success. I have suffered from kidney stones from my overdosing on Tums and other antacids with calcium. A friend told me to drink 2 tablespoons of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water. It sounded absolutely painful to me (the thought of the acid was horrifying!) I finally tried it. It DIDN'T hurt to drink and it ACTUALLY WORKED!!!! I drink two glasses a day and look forward to it. It works immediately and actually prevents the condition from occuring. I really am not into the "organic" lifestyle....however, this drink has made an absolute believer out of me!

I had a problem, rheumatoid arthritis and tried it for that, but I noted that although it did only a little for my problem, the acid reflux which I had quite often went away and I had no problems for quite a while, even though I had stopped the cider vinegar.

Before I was using Zantac or the generic and that normally took 20 minutes to kick in.

Whenever I have a reflux problem, 1 tbspoon with lime juice (a squash will do) and a dash of water and down in one, with a rinse of water after leaves no taste and the problem goes away in minutes, 5 max. No ant acid tabs required

Even helps when the stomach retains food and will not let through to small intestine, pre colonoscopy medication x 2 (morning and 4 hours later after evening dose) did nothing until 5 minutes after the cider vinegar taken (was feeling slightly bileous) and the picolax really let loose.

It works for me, and also for my brother. Curiously a medical secretary I was speaking to swears by it for reflux. If you are going to have a rich meal, try taking beforehand to avoid the discomfort.

PS, it didn't help my arthtritis (side effect of Crohns), but it has helped others, to my knowledge.

deremer wrote:

It makes perfect sense.

The reason it works is this: In cases of acid reflux disease (or GERD) that are unrelated to obesity, the stomach is creating too much acid in response to a diet heavy in calcium and various other foods. Stomach acid is made of HCl, or hydrochloric acid, which is kind of like the positive to calcium's negative. They cancel each other out. If you eat a lot of things with calcium in it along with heavier foods, your stomach begins to make more acid so that it can digest the food. If your stomach acid is not strong enough to digest foods, a series of digestive problems that you probably don't want to know about can develop, so this is a good thing. The problem is, your stomach does not always have food in it, so in the in-between times, you experience heartburn, or reflux. It is not a reaction to food, but a reaction to diet. In order to combat this, adding more acid to your stomach is the perfect solution (excluding modifying your diet). This is because your stomach begins to recognize that there is already acid in there to help combat the heavy foods, so it stops making as much acid on principle. Since you digest the vinegar, you don't experience reflux after eating.

And now you know.

I had terriable acid reflux for years my doctor told me he would like me to try to get off the purple pill, I used braggs apple cider vinagar with mother it burned so bad the fisrt few times but after that I only take it once in a while, the reson it works is because we have to little acid in our stomacs that trys to over work but the one table spoon of vinagar gives us older past 50 folks a boost for our tummys this is a wonderful use of Braggs acv

I've heard that the idea of vinegar helping with reflux has to do with the sphincter below the esophagus which is supposed to close down to keep food from coming up. It closes in an acidic ph. So when your stomach acids are not strong enough it opens. To close it you can drink some vinegar. This is why taking antacids makes things worse the long run. I think vinegar usually works, but not always, hope this helps.

Guest wrote:

Excuse me; I know you posted this a year ago but if you could answer this maybe; did you use "organic" apple cider vinegar or did "regular" generic brand work just as well?

Yes it is working wonders for me mix a little honey teaspoon with a tablespoon of water heat in  microwave for 20 seconds then blend in cold water add ice and drink  before bed- you will not have any acid reflux- do if anytime you start to have acid reflux.. It does work.