I'm a 42 year old male. For several months now I have had an irregular heart beat. I have had all the test which have come back normal.
They put me on blood pressure meds to help with the beats. This helped in the beginning but now they are getting worse.
The biggest problem I have is when I swallow solid food or drink liquids. As the substance flows down my heart beats hard , skips beats and I get dizzy. I is becoming slightly pain full as well. I also feel like my breathe is being taken away during a meal. Anyone ever feel this? I was outfitted with an event monitor which shows them each time I have a problem. In two weeks they have seen 20 events and only one was a tachacardia event.
Worried!

This began happening to me a little over a week ago. I am seeing a cardiologist on Wednesday. What happened with your treatment? I am a 41 yo male.

I have noticed that when I take pills or eat there is a certain place in my esophagas that causes my heart to skip beats as it the stuff sits there. I find I have to drink something to push it down and alleviate the situation. I too find it is more difficult to breathe after I eat.
I have spoken to my Dr. and I am going to get tests. It is scary and annoying.

I am also experiencing irregular heartbeats when swallowing. What happened in the cases of the others that posted here in the past?

I have this as well. It's called deglutition tachycardia.....or faster heartbeat while swallowing. In my case, my heart doesn't speed up....but I have an ectopic beat or two whenever I swallow - food, drink, or it happens mostly when it's just spit.

It's either caused by mechanical irritation of the heart by the esophagus rubbing on it.....or in MY case, it's caused by irritation of the esophagus nerves (vagus nerve), which is also responsible for heart rhythm. Acid reflux is a common cause of esophageal irritation and sometimes the symptoms of relux are more than or different than just heartburn, so don't count it out if you don't have "heartburn" often. Some people have luck taking Prilosec for a while and it stops completely. As far as I know, though, it's NOT harmful unless you have prolonged runs of them. I also know that if it's due to Vagal nerve stimulation then Beta Blockers will make them worse. Hope this helps!!

PPIs do seem to help me. Do they help you? Do your symptoms typically get worse as the day progresses, e.g., more ectopic beats per swallow later in the day? That seems to happen to me when I have symptoms.

How were you able to determine that it is being caused by your Vagus nerve? Did you have any evidence of GERD and/or esophagitis?

I am 44 year old have the same experience , after food and also when I walk, last year this time I was having Doctor prescribed me Librocol and this vanished , again it started did ECG eveything normal. I also need advise

Do you get it when you swallow, or only after you have eaten? In my case, it happens every time I swallow (food, liquids, nothing). I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis, and I have found that *swallowed* fluticasone coupled with PPIs appears to cause my heart symptoms to abate. I'm guessing it treats inflammation in my esophagus that is causing my vagus nerve to "misfire" when I swallow.

I have been searching for the answer to this for several years. Several tests etc. with same conclusion your ok do not know what causes it. Can be real unsettling feeling. Settles down at night and morning and is worse at lunch. I would be really interested to know if your treatment works as at this very moment I am under attack! Thanks

I am having the same type of problem, 1 or 2 skipped beats after each swallow. Doc thinks its related to the vagas nerve. I am on 80 mg of Prilosec but no relief yet. It's very scary and I'm having an echo and event monitor next week. Anyone got relief with any treatment?

What did u find out? Do u have esophagitis causing your tachycardia?

My skipped beat after every swallow went away for about 8 months and now just started up again. I can't figure out why it just disappeared and then reappeared. Cardiologist was not worried about it. But if is driving me crazy and scary to me.

Oh and it also happens with each burp.

Im a 25 yr old male and I am having the same issues. I need help!