Hello, my 18 year old son has, for over five years now, a condition that the Gastroenterologists claim is caused by stomach acid (reflux) causing the diaphragm or stomach muscles to spasm and cause, almost constant, expulsions of air through the mouth, that come out as grunts and small coughs. They say the acid irritates the esophagus and, I assume, the Vagus nerve, and causes the diaphragm to spasm. They have tried many acid reducers and the like, without success. His pediatric GI doctor (supposedly one of the best in the country) claimed that he would outgrow it by the time he reached adulthood, however, that has not happened, and now his adult GI doctor claims that statement was untrue. An endoscopy shows mild irritation of the esophagus at the stomach, but nothing serious. At this point I don't know if this is actually a GI problem, or if this is some kind of nervous tic, or perhaps a manifestation of Turrets Syndrome. In addition, I have never heard of this condition before, although the doctors claim that this is very common and that they treat it all of the time. Does anyone out there share this condition (sorry if you do) or has anyone ever heard of it? If so, have you found a treatment? Sorry that I don't have a name for this, as the doctors simply call it "respiratory distress caused by GERD" He has had to try and control these grunts and coughs day in and day out for so long now, and avoids conversations if at all possible. He has put his social life on hold and it is just heartbreaking to watch him suffer. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

I've had it my entire life. Since I was a young girl. I'm now 47. I have acid reflux as well. It get worse for me when I have a cold. My father has too.