Hi there!

I read a thread earlier about this, and I wasn't able to reply on it so I created this thread. I too have had this problem for years and here's what I've learned. I hope this will help someone.

If you suspect that your problem is acid reflux, try DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract). It is chewable and available at most health stores. It doesn't taste that great, but it is worth it, and you get used to it. Doctors won't tell you about it, because they are clueless about natural solutions. It is a digestive aid, which reduces acid reflux backflow, and it also builds up the protective layer in your throat/esophagus/stomach against acid, so that if you get acid reflux, the acid is less likely to cause such damage to you. It is a long term solution, so please don't expect immediate results. However, within 8-16 weeks some have noticed a tremendous difference, and have switched from their PPIs, Zantac, etc, to DGL. You chew a couple tablets about 20 min before each meal. There have been a few studies done on it, when it was used to heal ulcers in people who were resistant to medication. Please look it up!

For immediate results, I also suggest Marshmellow Root. It comes in capsules, also available at health food stores. I believe it also comes as an herbal tea. Its sole purpose is to build up your protective layer as well. I suffer from this problem as well, and I think it cut my mucus in half. I did notice a difference within a few days. I dump 3 capsules into yogurt before a meal. The purpose of Marshmellow Root is to sooth irritated mucus membranes.

From what I have learned, the big problem here is that whether your mucus is because of sinuses or acid reflux, the throat is middle ground between the two. Meaning that your sinus drainage is essentially acid, so you've got acid draining down, and acid coming up, and your throat is the destination for both, which means its almost always getting hurt, so it produces mucus 24/7. When your acid reflux burns you coming up, your body goes into instant protection mode and produces all sorts of mucus. It steps up its mucus production everywhere, including your sinuses. So this is where Marshmellow Root comes in handy, it soothes those membranes and cuts the mucus until you can find your individual cause of the problem.

I have also found the Neti Pot to be beneficial. If you have chronic sinusitis like I do, it thins your Post Nasal Drip, and if you have allergies, it removes the allergens you breathe in (dust, pollen) etc before they have a chance to cause irritation. Please be diligent about your Neti Pot. Twice a day, everyday. I ordered mine through a company called Sinucleanse. You can find them online, they also provide pre-measured packets of the saline solution that is meant to go in the Neti Pot (for purchase). If you're like me, you don't have the time or patience to measure out salt and water.

I sympathize with everyone here, I have suffered from this problem for 8 years, no doctor told me any of this, these are things I only recently discovered after 8 years of suffering. I hope that it will help someone somewhere find a faster solution to their problem.

Thank you. I've only been dealing with mucus thing for a month and already I've had it. To think that I might have to deal with this forever is unthinkable! I just bought both items you suggested and will post my experience with them. Even if they don't work, I appreciate you offering an alternative to all the other medical remedies that don't seem to be helping most of us anyway.

Hi there!

I agree with you, the natural remedies are worth a try for any relief.

I have recently discovered information about the PH Balance in the body, which has proven to be very interesting. Please Google this term, you will learn a great deal about what having an acidic PH can do the body. Most appropriate for this thread, an acidic PH can cause inflammation in the body (made me think of the sinuses). I am currently in the process of trying to balance my PH (which is impossible to do if you are stressed, I found out!). I have begun exercising more regularly (great stress relief), as well as meditation. I have also begun using Coral Calcium packets in my drinks. You only need to use one a day. I use the brand CoralCal, you can find them on Amazon. It has 74 trace minerals in it that your body needs, and helps to keep your PH at a reasonable place. I'm keeping track of my progress. Some days I have started coughing productively, and managed to break up some of the mucus in my throat. One day I was able to swallow without issue for the first time in 8 years (going on 9). I hope to continue heading in this direction with my experiments.