Is it normal for a rheumatoid Arthritis patient to suddenly suffer from excruciating pain since four months although everything was quite normal before that? My mother has been undergoing extreme pain since a few months, the doc only prescribed pain meds and calcium supplements to her. What should I do, please help.

Health Advisor

Hello, catthyr001.

How many times did your mother went to the doctor during this period? 

It's not unusual that RA patient feel a pain after surgery, but it's odd if the pain is persistent. My friend's mother had similar problem. She also had large pain after RA, but with pain medications, she managed to get rid of it in few months time. Of course, she needed a lot of rest and exercising. 

Did your mother told the doctor that medication doesn't help? And did she stick to the proper dosage and took it regularly? 

Maybe you should seek another opinion if you can.

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time off to reply. I would like to add here that my mother has not undergone any surgery. When she consulted her Rheumatologist he prescribed some pain medication and calcium supplements. When told that the medication did not help he prescribed another pain killer. But what's the use if the root of the cause is not known? What could be the reason behind her case? Please help.

Health Advisor

Hello, again.

Not much can be done to ease the arthritis pain, but some little tricks can be helpful. Relaxation is one of them. Maybe some quiet weekend in cottage near lake or something similar mixed with meditation. Get your mother to avoid stress as much as she can.

Create a schedule of taking painkillers. She shouldn't take them only if she's in pain, but regularly. And, see that she try to suppress feeling of pain by concentrating on something that can keep her mind busy.

Also, she can use massage, and cold and warm baths alternately. She must adjust her position frequently, trying not to be in same pose for a long period of time. 

There are a kind of psychotherapy called cognitive-behavioral training that can do some positive things for the RA patients so, if you wish, you can look into it.

My regards.

Thanks again for the reply. I appreciate your advice that diverting her mind when in extreme pain would prove to be very helpful. I am also toying with the idea of taking her to a physiotherapist or a chiropractor to let get get some relief. Hope the next time I post I have some positive news to share with you.

You health condition, RA, might be in exacerbation mode. Do you take medications as prescribe? Omega 3 rich foods are recommended to manage inflammation brought about by the disease process.