Hi, guys. My friend has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. She is 49 years old and I have been reading that this can lead to some problems. I would like to find out about the life expectancy for this disease. Does anyone know this? I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

Hello. Rheumatoid arthritis indeed interferes with one’s lifestyle. I am not sure how much it affects life expectancy. Treatment of this disease consists of some serious medications. Their side effects can indeed affect someone’s longevity. I am talking about cyclophosphamide, steroids, gold salts injections, methotrexate… Your friend should consult her rheumatologist for more details. It is interesting that women more suffer from RA than men. I am sorry I couldn’t help. Bye!

I can, I was diagnosed with RA 7 years ago. I looked up the life expectancy at that time & 50% of folks die within
5 years. New meds are great for symptoms but they increase your chance of dying from heart disease,
Infections, Cancer and other organ failure. I had a wisdom tooth pulled 3 years ago, got infected and almost
died. It took a whole year of PIC line antibotics and 30 hyperbaric chamber dives to finally stop the infection.
When you get a common cold, it can worsen so fast that you will find yourself in ER in 3 days. Hope this helps

I live in the UK and have NEVER seen the figure of 5 years put on life expectancy in RA. I have read extensively on this subject and took part in an expert patient programme. Where did you get this information please, as I'd like to read it up.