Hi, my mother has developed an illness that I was not aware existed. She has been feeling pain in her hand joints for some time. I persuaded her to see a doctor. After some tests were made, my mother was diagnosed with gout rheumatoid arthritis. Will you please tell me what kind of illness this is?

Hi, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. Like any other of this type, it is caused by our immune system. It recognizes joint tissue as a threat and creates antibodies to fight it. This produces inflammation that causes pain. Gout rheumatoid arthritis influences small joints in the feet and, like in your mother's case, hands. Build up of uric acid makes it occur. What happens is that crystals are being formed from the uric acid waste. It is actually them that are causing the inflammation. The thing about gout rheumatoid arthritis is that it actually points to some other troubles such as kidney stones that can even lead to kidney failure. This means that your mother's joint tissue might be a sign that a more serious condition is developing. Therefore, it is very important that your mother listens to her doctor and that she follows the prescribed therapy.