Hello! My mother suffers from arthritis. Sometimes her joints are really inflamed and hurt her a lot. She usually takes non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by her doctor. I don’t know much about this illness and I would like to know more in order to be able to relieve my mother’s condition. I know that many people suffer from arthritis. What types of arthritis are most common?

Hello! Yes, there are many people who suffer from arthritis and there are more than hundred different types of arthritis. Some of the most common are osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout. Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage covering the end of the bones gradually wears away and the bones begin to rub against each other and the resulting friction leads to pain and swelling. It can occur in any joint, but usually affects the hands and hip. Rheumatoid arthritis is a long-lasting disease that usually affects joint is the hands, wrists, and knees when the immune system mistakenly attacks itself and causes the joint lining to swell. Rheumatoid arthritis can sometimes affect skin, eyes, and nerves. Gout is a painful condition that occurs when the body cannot eliminate uric acid. The excess uric acid forms crystals in the joints that cause severe pain of the knee, big toe and wrist joints.