I recently had a cholesterol blood test performed and I wanted to ask a few questions. (My results: total cholesterol 185mg/dl, Triglycerides 6.0 m mol/l, HDL cholesterol 29 mg/dl and LDL cholesterol 88 mg/dl). I am very athletic and I have strict exercise program for over the year. What makes my triglycerides extremely high in the blood, I don't believe I eat a lot of fatty foods and I don't drink. What can be done to improve HDL levels?

Alcohol and sugar sweetened foods increase triglycerides, but if you don't drink alcohol, then perhaps you eat sweets other than carbonated beverages. Exercise usually increases HDL levels and considering your exercise program, I would think yours would be in a more optimal range of 35 - 70 mg / dl…I know that Estrogen or insulin therapy increase HDL's. However, your blood lipids results seem a bit disproportionate to each other in particular the LDL and triglycerides. Have you talked to your doctor about your extremely high triglycerides results?