Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I would like to find out more about normal levels of cholesterol in human blood. Just recently, my mother had a blood test and she was found with some high levels of cholesterol in her blood. I believe that she told me she have 220 mg/dL cholesterol in her blood.
This got me really worried because I've heard that this can increase risk of getting heart attack and some other diseases. The only problem is that I don’t know anything more about this. How could she prevent this from happening and what are normal blood levels of cholesterol?
Thanks!

Hi. I see that you're worried about your mother and that’s why I don’t mind telling you some facts about cholesterol.
Cholesterol is one of the body's fats or lipids. Like you said, having high levels of cholesterol, can lead to hardening and narrowing of the arteries in the major vascular systems. This is called atherosclerosis.
You mother has high levels of cholesterol because desirable values are less than 200 mg/dL. People whose cholesterol level is from 200 to 239 mg/dL, like your mother, are borderline high risk.
She should definitely do something to decrease this level. From what I know about this, she should lower her intake of foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol to reduce her blood cholesterol level to below 200 mg/dL. Smoking and alcohol should definitely be avoided.