Hi everyone,

I recently met an old friend, our story goes way back to high school, he was always my crush actually but he doesn't know it even today.

Anyway, I met him in the hospital two days ago and we talked for about half an hour until it was his turn to go inside the doctor's office to talk to him. Right before he went in he told me that he has hyperlipidemia and that he doesn't know if it could be serious or not.

It was the first time I heard about this condition. Can anyone tell me how dangerous it is and how is it treated?

Hi Bee,

This shouldn't be dangerous at all. Hyperlipidemia is just a fancy word for too many lipids (or fats) in the blood.

Our bodies make and use a certain amount of cholesterol every day but sometimes that system gets a glitch, either through genetics or diet. Higher levels of the "good" HDL cholesterol are associated with decreased risk of heart disease and stroke. HDL helps by removing cholesterol from your arteries, which slows the development of plaque. The "bad" LDL cholesterol can lead to blockages if there's too much in the blood.

Basically, the treatment includes a healthy diet and regular exercise.

Hey guys,

If a person is diagnosed with hyperlipidemia, his overall health status and risks will help guide treatment. Making healthy diet choices and increasing exercise are important first steps in lowering his high cholesterol. Depending on his overall risk, his doctor may also prescribe medications in conjunction with healthy eating and regular exercise.

Consulting a doctor for this matter is very important, so your friend made a good choice. For people with high triglycerides, for example, alcohol can be particularly dangerous. But for those with high cholesterol, a daily glass of wine or other alcohol, along with healthy eating and exercise may actually help.

Hey everyone,

This condition can mean two things: that a person has high cholesterol or that a person has high triglycerides. This is why it was good for your friend to visit his doctor because the treatment options for these two things are a bit different, like that example that Adria gave you above.

There is no special treatment regarding this condition, the best thing that you can do is exercise and eat healthy food. Eat foods that are very low in cholesterol. Losing weight can help a lot so I would recommend jogging or riding a lot on your bicycle. It's not hard if you put some effort in it.

Hello everyone,

I don't think that there are actually any medications that can help with cholesterol in your blood and this is why you need to eat healthy food and exercise on a daily basis. It is really a shame that something like this has to happen in order to get a person to eat healthy food and exercise regularly.

Well, if a person has hyperlipidemia and wants to get better, this is the only way to do it, and he will later be grateful for getting this condition because this person's life will get a lot better after he starts to eat healthy food and starts to exercise.

Hey everyone,

Did you know that one third of American adults have hyperlipidemia, only 1 in 3 have it under control, and having this condition doubles your chances of developing heart disease?

Genetic predisposition, cigarette smoking, obesity, poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle can all lead to hyperlipidemia. Even though it doesn't show any symptoms, it can easily be diagnosed with a simple blood test.

Being overweight is a big risk factor for hyperlipidemia, this is why a lot of Americans have this condition. The best treatment options are the ones that people above me already mentioned, exercising regularly, eating healthy food and lowering your weight.

Hello there.

It depends but I believe that it is very dangerous. Hyperlipidemia is actually a family disorders that are characterized by abnormally high levels of lipids or fats in your blood. While fats play a vital role in the body’s metabolic process than you should know that very high blood levels of fats increase the risk of coronary heart disease. There are a couple of ways how to treat it.

Your doctor first needs to find the underlying cause of the disorder such as diabetes. And it should be treated.

Also, you need to do some lifestyle changes in your life and that is including eating a diet that is low in saturated fats and cholesterol.

Hey. I think that the most important thing is to change your lifestyle if you want to treat Hyperlipidemia. I agree with The Big Z, but there are some other things as well that you can do.

For example, if you are overweight, weight loss is the most effective way to lower triglyceride levels and if you are a smoker, quitting smoking and doing some exercises may raise the level of good cholesterol. Medications also can help you, especially the medications that are designed to reduce the blood cholesterol levels.

For any other information you should contact your doctor.

Good day there. The main treatment for this disease is definitely a dietary and lifestyle modification. Of course this disease is very difficult and that is why this way of the treatment needs to be followed by drugs therapy if that is something that your doctor recommends you of course.

This treatment should not be considered refractory to dietary treatment if the therapeutic regimen include some animal products or more than minimal amounts of the vegetable oils.

Also, some regular exercise can improve lipid concentrations.

Definitely you can let this untreated because it can be bad. Find the best way to treat it. With your doctor’s help, of course.

Hi there.

I know that more than 3 million people have this genetic disorder in the Europe and in the United States. It is very common for those who live in developed countries and follow so – called Western high – fat diet program.

Unfortunately, hyperlipidemia is usually chronic and it requires ongoing statin medication to control blood lipid levels.

It is very important to consult your doctor as soon as you start to feel some symptoms, as soon as you start to feel totally different than before.

Doctor will tell is this high cholesterol or high glyceride levels in this case.