I know once I have heard for cholesterol. I know something about it, like it goes in our arteries and increase risk for heart attack and stroke. Recently I heard for HDL cholesterol. Now I am interested if that is some kind of the same cholesterol that I know or that is some other type. I would like to know what is difference between well know cholesterol and HDL.

Lipoproteins which are combinations of lipids or fats are proteins. They are form in which lipids are transported in the blood. HDL is one of two types of cholesterol you know about. It can be HDL and LDL. HDL is high density lipoproteins that transport cholesterol from the tissues of the body to the liver. From the liver it can be gotten rid of in the bile. HDL cholesterol is considered as good cholesterol and LDL is bad cholesterol. Higher the HDL cholesterol level makes risk of coronary artery disease lower. Even small increase of HDL cholesterol reduces the frequency of heart attacks. The first step in increasing HDL levels is life style modification. Increase will be more noticeable if there are aerobic exercises, loss of excess weight or fat and cessation of cigarette smoking. Also raising HDL cholesterol helps moderate alcohol consumption such as one drink a day. When this kind of life style modifications are insufficient, medications could be used.