Good day there.

Today while I was waiting for my blood test and some results in the hospital, I have heard two older guys who were talking about some heart issues and some analyses and tests as well.

They were talking about serum lipid levels and that they need to do something about it.

I remember, but not that clear that my neighbor Mike did this but I don’t remember exactly what this was.

Can you help me? What do serum lipid levels show and how to interpret those findings? What doctors usually do with it?

Thank you for information!

Hey. I don’t know much about this but I’ll share the part that I know.

Well you know what lipids are. They are a group of naturally occurring molecules. They include: fats, fat-soluble vitamins (such as vitamins A, D, E, and K), waxes, monoglycerides, diglycerides, triglycerides, sterols,  phospholipids, and others.

I often hear people using the word lipid as a synonym for fats and that is wrong cause fats are a just a subgroup of lipids. They are called triglycerides.

Anyway lipid levels help the doctors to determine a person’s risk of heart disease. They also help them to make decisions regarding treatment.

Hey there everyone. Here is what I know. The lipid profile is used as a part of cardiac risk assessment to help determine some individual risks of possible heart disease and to help you and your doctors to make a decision about what treatment is the best for you. Also, this will help them to determine are you in the higher risk or not.

Lipids are a group of fats and fat like substances and they are very important constituents of cells and great source of energy.

Monitoring and maintaining healthy levels of these lipids are very important if you want to be healthy.

Hi there. To be honest, I don’t have idea about this. I know that my doctor tried to explain it to me when I needed to do that but I didn’t understand him at all. As far as I remember he told me that this is a test for high cholesterol level. I never did it so I can’t tell you my experience. My doctor is still mad at me because I haven’t done this test.
I also do know that lipid profile includes: total cholesterol, high – density lipoprotein cholesterol, low – density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides.
Generally, healthy lipid levels help to maintain very healthy heart and lower the risk of heart attack.

These levels are followed so the doctors could know if there is any danger of heart disease or heart attack in a particular person.

I’ve been told that my blood cholesterol levels should be below 4.0mmol/L. He also told me that LDL (‘harmful cholesterol) needs to be below 2.0mmol/L while HDL (protective cholesterol) above 1.0 mmol/L.  And then I asked about triglyceride levels and I’ve been told they need to be under 1.7 mmol/L.

I have a heart disease so maybe these levels can be different and still ok in people who are healthy and have no risks of heart disease.

Wow, you are scaring me now. I did my blood test about a month ago, I have it right here, it says that my serum cholesterol level is 7.2. Is that too high? I don’t have any heart related problems even though I am at high risk since several family members of mine have had heart attack.
It says here that my triglyceride level is 1.7, which is fine I guess? And HDL (protective cholesterol) level is 2.0. You said that it needs to be over 1.0 mmol/L so that’s also ok I guess. And then here is the LDL level, which is harmful cholesterol and it says 4.4.

Hi.

Lipid profile or lipid panel is a panel of blood tests that serves as an initial board medical screening tool for abnormalities in lipids, such as cholesterol and triglycerides. Well the result of this test can indentify certain genetic diseases and it can also determine some approximate risks for cardiovascular disease and also some other diseases.

There are a few forms of cholesterol that are circulating in the blood and the various forms of it and other fats in the blood are together called lipids. Doctors usually measure and diagnose high cholesterol with a simple blood test and that blood test is called a lipid profile. It is also done in between 9 to 12 hours.

Well I had no idea what serum lipid levels are, but now when I do, I’m not feeling any better. I’m starting to think I should stop investigating about my health on the internet. I’ve noticed that the less I know, the more peaceful I am. The thing is, I am very young and the last time when I went to the doctor I was suggested to do a blood test. And so I did. And the other day the nurse called my mother to tell her that I need to come again since my serum lipid levels are not ok. I wonder if they are high or low.