Hello, I had Anterior Cervical Disk Fusion surgery level 3-4 on the neck three weeks ago. After surgery my face and eyes were swollen for two days. After the swelling went away, I noticed that my right eye was droopong and the eye would not dilate. Went to my surgeon to have stitches removed, advised him of this, he then sent me to eye doctor. The eye doctor dialted my eyes. He thinks that I may have Horner's Syndrome and wanted to have an MRI and MRA of the neck, brain and chest done within next two days. The nurse called me back and said that the earliest I can get in for the MRI's is in two weeks. Is this something that needs to be done right away? Should I be concerned? My doctor that did my surgery did not seem to concerned. I am a little worried as I do not really know what Horner's Syndrome is, and what could have made my eye droop and not dialte after surgery. I know that this is long but any answers would be greatly appreciated!

I also had Eye Droop after Anterior Cervical Disk Fusion Surgery, with small fixed pupil that would not dilate. I was told that I have Horner's Syndrome. I was told that it was caused by nerves in my neck being "moved" during the surgery, when the clamps/spreaders were used to make the opening for my surgery. My neurosurgeon said that some people have very sensitive nerves that are easily damaged. The good news is that these nerves can, and usually do, repair themselves. It can take 3-6 months or longer, and sometimes the nerves do not repair themselves, leaving the person with a droopy eye.

I am on month four and my eye has gotten a little better, but it still droops and I have eye pain after using the computer for more than a few minutes or reading for an extended time. I also have a paralyzed vocal cord and dry mouth, because of nerve damage at my neck. I hope your nerves don't take as long as mine, to repair themselves.

My internist also sent me for a chest X-ray and he sent me to an eye doctor to rule out other reasons for my symptoms, but my neurosurgeon said the tests were not necessary. I had the tests anyway and no other reasons were found.

One thing I found was that if I put over the counter eye drops in my eye, it would not droop for 1-2 hours and the pupil would return to normal for the same amount of time, making me think that my eye is too dry. I have tried several eye drops and the one that works the best for me is Kroger brand Eye Drops - Extra Moisturizing. I don’t know if these can be used indefinitely.

The good news...my neck feels great. It took about 3 months for the bone graft to heal and start feeling really wonderful.

rossy57

I just had Anterior Cervical Disk Fusion Surgery on C4-C6 and had woken up to my left eye looking weepy and 1/2 open the surgery was on Sept. 18-08 and it is now Oct 1st. My eye has not gotten any better, I have pressure in it and it starins as I read or work on the computer. I am still at home recovering from surgery but it worries me. I brought it up to my Dr. ans she said it was from the nerves being pulled that it will come back. I am troubled that she did not even look inside it. I have a 2 week follow up with her this week and plan to make sure she takes it more seriously. I will see what happens.

I also have same symptoms after surgery 2 weeks ago. Somebody please let me know outcomes. Not comfortable waiting 4 months
Thanks

I also have a constricted pupil and eye drooping after 2 weeks of surgery.Any advice. Told 3-4 months recovery.

I also had a neck surgery to remove a tumor. The left side of my face was slightly droopy after surgery, it is almost all the way normal now 2 months post surgery. But my left pupil does not dialate also my eye is still slightly droopy & I was also told I would not sweat on that side of my head. Thats a plus ! Anyways I am also going to speech therepy & some of the excercise's for my mouth have really strengthend my facial muscle's. Maybe try some facial excercise's to improve condition faster...like lifting your eyebrows , closing eye's tight, of course ask your doc first. I hope for a speedy recovery for you!

hi, i have just has c4 -5, c5-6 and c7-7 fused and i was really concerned about my droopy eye but thanks to this site i am relieved to know it is not unusual and will get better thanks to all for your input jenny

Hello -

I just had ETS surgery in back in March. During surgery, my doctor miss-clamped my sympathetic nerve. This clamp was removed, however, because the clamp was located too high on the nerve it caused me to get Horner's Syndrome. I was told to give it a month or two and it should heal. After a month or two went by, I was told the healing process is still a little premature and that I should give it MORE time. I am trying to remain patient; however, it's hard to considering the circumstances.

I too can use over the counter drops (I found Clear Eyes works, so I have been sticking too it) that will give me temporary normalness. These drops will open my eye, clear my eye and return the pupil to normal size. I was told not to over use these drops because your eye could become immune to them with overuse. These last longer without contacts, but in contacts about 2-3 hours.

So it has been 3 months today and I haven't noticed any improvement with the Horners. Does anyone know when I can expect to start seeing improvement? Or if I should consider lid surgery? I would REALLY not like to have surgery just incase my nerve does eventually heal AND for financial reasons I don't feel liable for, but I refuse to have this forever. Thoughts, advise... help?

hi,

I had neck surgery July 2009 C-4 -- C-7. I too developed honer's Syndrome. It has been a year and I have noticed
that my eye is not drooping hardly at all anymore. pupil is still small at times. I still don't sweat on that side of my face.
I use to get pain behind my eye when I would be on the computer, watch T.V in the dark. That too has improved. I did have
trouble wearing my contacts at first, but things have improved with that also.
Be patient I was told if the nerve does get better it could take sometimes 1-2 years!
Hope this helps.

Hi,  On april 26th I had surgery on my cervical and woke up to horner syndrome.  I was told within a wk things should go back to normal.  I was told give it a month.  Things have not improved.  I too don't sweat on my right side and my right eye is sooo much smaller than the other.  Sometime I get really depressed and to make my depression go away I don't look at myself in the mirror anymore.  What was helpful is to hear that it could take up to up to 2 years.  That was a shock, after I was told by my doctor that in a week it would go away.  Anyone out there that knows if the sweat comes back at all.  My doctor said it's from the medication before sergery .  Could medication cause this? 

exactly what just happened to me. but, the surgeon thought i may have had a stroke during surgery. had a brain C/T done the same day and it was normal. so, 4 weeks after my surgery, the drooping is actually getting worse. I dont see the surgeon for another 4 wks now and dont know what to do. You seem to think that time is a possible cure or improvement. When I wake up, it is at it's worse, so bad, i cannot even read on my computer. Hoping it is not permanent nerve damage. Did I mention, my 45 yr old surgeon dies 5 days after my surgery and all anyone will tell me is "very sudden and very sad". My detective work is leading me to believe he commited suicide. So, I am a little bit more than concerned. Happy to hear that you are feeling wonderful and hope the same will be for me. Pls let me know anything else about the drooping eye. I would appreciate it.

I had Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion Surgery 1 month ago.  Right eye is drooping and it seems to get better or worse throughout the day.  It is Horner's Syndrome, but I don't have any sweating problems.   Considering plastic surgery but not sure how long I should wait.  I don't think I can wait a year or two.  I am also worried what would happen if I get the surgery and the symptoms go away. I would once again have uneven eyelids.  Anyone with any advice?

Hello, I ended up with Horner's Syndrome after throat surgery almost three years ago,during which damage was done to the sympathetic nerve trunk or similar. My left upper eye lid droops badly and my mouth also droops on that side a bit. My left pupil is very small while my right eye seems to be staring and the pupil is larger. I think I look very odd, kind of crazy even! However, like your specialist, mine was a bit off hand about the whole thing and there seems not much can be done about it. It's just something you have to live with apparently. I'm not able to wear contact lenses any more though there is a surgical procedure which can correct the sagging eye lid apparently. I am reluctant to undergo any more operations unless absolutely necessary, have had far too many already! So it looks like I am stuck with looking this way:-)

I had fusion of c5, c6, c7 in november 2012, went in for what I thought was going to be simple surgery and I ended up crashing when they were ready to sew me up. so I was sent to the Coronary Care ICU for a week. Anyway, I have been having left sided face pain, numbness, tingling, and headache, so I called my opthomologist who, thankfully is a Neuro Opthomologist. I was just diagnosed today Feb 2013 with horner's syndrome. You really need to find a Neuro Ophthomologist for this syndrome. I am very lucky to have an extremely intelligent, kind and caring doc. I have to go back in 6 weeks and have more testing done. I am hoping it will go away, but from the sounds of it, no. He also said to make sure you carry a card or alert bracelet or make sure your significant other knows of this, because if you were to end up in and ER and they looked at your pupils they would immediately think brain injury or stroke. Hope this helps.

Hello, I too have developed Horners Syndrome post ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion) at C4-5 and c5-6. My surgery was 7-26-13. I am at about 5 weeks out with no improvement. My doctor also doesnt seem to think its a big deal, but I am quite bothered by the entire outcome. I have also been told as of today that I have Neuroplaxia of recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy (loss of voice and or vocal cord damage) as well as Obstructive sleep apnea (airway problems causing me to stop breathing several times per night) requiring a CPAP machine. None of these diagnoses were problems before my surgery. It seems to me that all these issues were caused by careless or overzealous retraction during surgery. My question is whether anyone who posted here previously with simialr outcomes have found relief or healing with time or treatment. I am being told to wait...give it time, but I am very worried about the long term effects that waiting may cause. Any advice or information as to what type of doctors or tests I should be seeking would be greatly appreciated.