About 6 years ago I underwent a root canal at the dentist office. Since that time I have developed problems that continue to get worse. My pain at first started with my jaw. They told me it was TMJ so I underwent some treatment for that. No help. My pain moved to my neck. Then to my shoulder, arm , wrist, hands. They suggested it was a pinched nerve (c-5 C-6) so I underwent disc replacement /fusion in Sept 2005.
It did not help either. I am still in pain even though now the pain is worsened because the neck surgery was not a sucess.
I have been through all sorts of tests since. I have been to numerous specialist and through physical therapy twice. I'm still in pain.
I keep searching for a reason that maybe the doctors are overlooking.
I keep going back to this root canal...that's when my problems began.
Has anyone had any similiar problems after a root canal?
I'm desperate for answers...any answers so I can research the possibility of what my doctors might be over looking.
I'm 47 yrs old. can no longer work or have fun due to the pain and agony.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Hi, I just read your post and thought it should reply. Not sure if you will even come back to this site but if you do maybe you would like to email me at : _[removed]_

Kind of the same thing happened to me. It was after a root canal. New dentist to boot. She kept my mouth stretched for quite some time with no let up. There was intense toothache pain prior... hense the root canal... but now this is the deal. I have what they call atypical facial pain... for lack of a better diagnosis. Constant nerve pain in my left jaw area. It became excrusiating after that root canal and never let up. I couldn't function until finally after going to see just about everyone possible.... they a neurologist put me on nuerontin... and a mild dose of elavil before bed. Been on it for 5 years now. Could not function without it. Don't know why I was ok one day... and afflicted with this horrible condition ... the next. My cross to bear. I hope this might help you in some way. Email me if you like.
Mandy

but that is not a normal thing if you agree with me. this pain can last only about a week after the procedure, no more. sure, this whole procedure of the permanent tooth replacement can leave the muscle quite tender for a while after the operation, but for a while, not for three or four weeks. my good friend also had this problem and the doctor told her that this happened when she was holding her mouth open for more than 3 minutes, that this caused a pain. honestly, when you are doing a replacement, you can't open and close your mouth, you have to keep it constantly open, right? 

Yes, it is possible. Your neck was in a bad position for what, maybe 45 minutes to an hour. That is long enough to get or aggravate a pinched nerve. I had a similar problem.

I had a root canal and as soon as I got up after the procedure I was light headed. Thought nothing of it, but it didn't go away. For months I went to specialists, blood work, heart doctors, everything normal. I then went to my chiropractor is desperation. The theory was that by having my neck craned back in such a position while getting the root canal, it gave me a pinch nerve which in turn was causing my light headedness. A few moments of treatment I am OK. not 100%. But better. So yes it is possible.

In my case I was in the dentist chair for 3 hours! I honestly couldn't believe a dentist would expect anyone to hold their mouth open that long.
I did try several chiropractors, for quite a few treatments. One finally said there is nothing more I can do so I quit going.
I'm still in pain after 6+yrs and still under going test to figure out what is going on.
Thanks for your responses.

I just saw your message for the first time today. Did you ever get relief or determine the problem? If not, let me know. I had a similar situation 3 years ago and am pain free. I'd be happy to share the information of what I went through and what worked.

Yes. I am still in constant pain!
I will be most greatful for any suggestions for relief. Please post what helped you....I want my life back.
Thank you in advance.

Well if you had me back in your life, I would do my very best to see that the pain is minimized enough to continue with the beautiful life you started.

i also have undergone a spinal surgery exactly 1 year ago to relieve nerve pain of my neck, shoulder, arm, wrist, and hand to no avail. An EMG revealed Thoracic outlet syndrome and now exactly 2 yrs after my first symptoms and 6 months after intense physical therapy for TOS I am beginning to feel better. I have not been able to work in over a year and typing causes the most pain.

Mandy, that combination of meds has been helping me also with chronic neck pain. Great to see you being helped.

I tried to save money by having 2 extractions without sedation. I already had daily cervical pain from 3 whiplash injuries 20 years ago.
I warned the dentist twice in my two appointments that my neck posture triggered pain.

The anesthetic was not effective and in addition I writhed in pain during the procedure.

Over a month later my daily pain has been much worse than before the procedure.