I'm a 49 year old woman, and over the last few years, my eyelids have started "drooping" downwards, to cover the part of the eyelid where you would normally apply eye shadow — does that description make any sense to you? As it were, my eyes look more Asian than Caucasian now, even though I am Caucasian. It also makes me feel tired. I am putting this here rather than in another section because I have the awkward feeling that this is something that will require plastic surgery to fix, which I am willing to have if that is required to fix my drooping eyelids. I will add that the right side is drastically droopier than the left side, making me have an uneven appearance as well. 

Of course, I would be really happy to discover that this can be fixed with creams. But I am not holding my breath. 

What are my options? 

That is called ptosis, and although it does happen to people simply because they age, it can also be the result of medical conditions including a stroke you did not even know you had (that is when it is only one-sided). Have you considered seeing your doctor about this, just in case he or she thinks that this requires further investigation in the form of tests, etc? If not, I think you should, to be honest. 

There is such a thing as surgery for ptosis, for what it's worth, and that may well be something you are interested in looking into. You could ask your doctor about that too.

That sounds miserable. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. 

So, mostly that's caused by general ageing. There's this thing called Lily Leading Instant Eye Lift that's not expensive that some people have had success with, though even if it ends out being a total scam, in your situation, yeah, that seems like something worth trying before you turn to more drastic measures. There's also muscle exercises to strengthen the muscles around your eyes to make the sagging less bad, which you could also give a go, and green tea masks and the like. I dunno if these things work mind you, and botox is definitely an option for you, but it's like a last resort attempt you could try out before getting surgery or injections, you know?

Hi there,

The best, meaning most effective, solution for a drooping eyelid caused by a combination or normal aging and genetics is an eye lift. Google it — the medical term is blepharoplasty. Though ophthalmologists can perform this surgery, if you are doing it solely because the look bothers you and not because the drooping is so severe that it interferes with your sight, then you will probably wan to look for a plastic surgeon. The procedure is likely to cost you around $2000 depending on where you have it done, you will recover within a few weeks, and you will look a lot younger almost right away.

My mother, who is a lot older then you, has this. It is getting so bad at this point that she cannot see properly, but because she is in her eighties they will not give her surgery at this point. It started at least 20 years ago though and it has made her feel bad all that time. I do wonder if this is perhaps in my future as well, if it is genetic (though I cannot say I recall other relatives having this issue) and if there are perhaps steps I can take to prevent my own eyelids from drooping in the future.

You can have eyelid surgery, which is also called an eye lift (the medical name is blepharoplasty) to correct a drooping eyelid. Eye lifts can be used both to correct drooping upper eyelids and bags under the eyes, AKA drooping lower eyelids. The procedure is normally carried out on people over 35, though you can have it done when you are younger as well if you have severe problems with drooping. The results last on average seven years. That is to say, having eyelid surgery does not prevent you from further aging and drooping forever. Most people are very happy with it for a long time though, and it sounds like a consultation is in order for you.

Sagging eyelids can be caused by a combination of genetics and environmental factors, OR a combination of genetics and age. It's a good idea to determine which one applies to you by testing out whether making some changes in your lifestyle could make some changes in your eyelids as well.

So basically, try sleeping enough, try cutting out salt, and try eating a diet full of antioxidants. Also try cutting out alcohol if you are having too much. If this reduces your drooping eyelid, then great.

If not, well, it is probably not environmental. A good clue is if your older relatives have this problem as well. If it is something that makes you feel less than happy about your looks, you could look into having a blepharectomy done. This is an eyelid lift, and it is available for both upper and lower eyelids. Many people opt to have both done at the same time. It can correct the sagging and make you look a lot younger.

If only one eyelid is drooping, it happened suddenly, and nobody else in your family has the same issue, then I would also see your family doctor about it and perhaps get a referral to a specialist. That is because this can be the symptom of a stroke, and even if you were not aware of it you will still need medical attention.

There is no doubt that you need to see a doctor. Drooping eyelids can have numerous different causes. Extra skin, extra fat, lack of fat in other areas, inflammation, can all be to blame here and until you get a diagnosis you may have your suspicions but you won't really know. Laser treatment, botox, fillers or prescription creams may be the solution, depending on what is wrong with you. For this reason, I would say it is not a good idea to try treatments by yourself because you may be spending time and effort not to mention money on treatments that will not help you at all.