I'm a 22 year old college student, male, in good health, good physical fitness, and with good vision.

I'm not under excessive stress, and I'm not depressed.

I don't take any medication, have any allergies, any disease that I know of.

I've had partial unilateral upper eyelid ptosis on the left side of my face for 2 years until now.

Setting aside the facial asymmetry, the possible underlying causes are what makes me anxious.

I woke up one morning to see that my left upper eyelid was extremely droopy.

I could hardly lift my left eyelid or see out of my left eye.

The severe droop disappeared after 7 days, but I've had mild eyelid ptosis ever since (2 years).

The ptosis is more noticeable at the end of the day when fatigue sets in.

It occurs with a painless feeling of weakness in the eyelid.

I've filmed myself looking straight into a camera and blinking fast, and noticed my eyes don't blink simultaneously in sync.

The left eyelid appears weaker, it blinks slower and isn't raised as high as the other one.

The unilateral ptosis is also made a lot worse by marijuana, smoking it constantly makes my left lid sag distinctly lower, and this never happened before (left lid was much less droopy, both eyes were even).

I'm convinced that the drug doesn't induce the ptosis, but exacerbates the existing condition.

I also more often than not experience weakness numbness on the left side of my face when smoking cannabis.

I saw another ophthalmologist 8 months ago, he did a pupil dilatation test (with eye drops) which showed no anomaly.

I get a recurring painless feeling on the top right side of my brain.

No difficulty swallowing, no weakness in any other part of the body.

No traumatic injury to the eye.

Right handed.

Cannot afford brain imaging unless absolutely necessary.

So, what may be causing my acquired unilateral upper eyelid ptosis? Why does my left eye appear lazy when I smoke cannabis?

Thank you for your answers, and have a nice day.

Hello, osibisa.  I am sorry to hear about your problem.  Your upper eyelid is supported by muscles.  For some reason, your eye muscle is weakened.  Then when you are extra tired or smoking cannabis, your muscles become lax so it makes your eye droop more prominent.  There is not much to do about it except in the future, you can have eye surgery to correct it.  Be reassured it has nothing to do with your brain or anything neurological. With age, ptosis can get worse as well.  Has anyone else had this condition and noticed it getting worse as the years went by?  If you had the surgery, was it successful?

Nobody in my family has this condition. And I've never had any surgery.

Thank you for the reply.
I've never had any surgery. Nobody in my family has this condition.
I looked into Bell's palsy, but my forehead isn't affected.
Don't you think the recurring feeling on the opposite side of my head (right side) warrants concern?

Hello , can u please post your email? I would like to message you

Reply here or PM me

Hello, I believe that I experience something similar to this but with my left eye. I had brain surgery in 2005, after a visit to the ER, resulting in the left side of my face permanently numb from damage to the trig. nerve. Please message me if you would like further details.

Hi. I don't know how to send private messages on this site, but I would like to know more. It's the left eyelid for me too, but I never went through brain surgery.

I would like to discuss this matter and my personal experience with you... Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

After receiving concussion one year ago. My left eye droops and blinks much slower than my right. And it also gets worse if im tired.

It most definitely can with MTBI or TBI. Symptoms might not show up for awhile but it can have something to do with the brain.

I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. I know this weak muscle feeling he talks about. It also gets worse for me when I'm tired or smoked weed and I smoke daily. I had surgery done and for about a week my eyelids looked the same and then in like a few hours it drooped again. Very frustrating and the surgeon can't explain why it happened. I saw a few more specialist like an oncologist I think it was. Someone who specialises in both eye conditions and plastic surgery and he told me he doesn't know why it droops and it's the first time he came across a case like mine in his + 20 years career. The choices they offer me are: 1. do nothing and learn to live with it 2. Have another operation to have another look at the muscle elevator and if needed retach it. No guarantees. 3. Have this sort of sling attached (you don't see it obviously) that replaces the function of the muscle elevator. There's a risk I can't fully close the eye though and need to take eyedrops all my life. I haven't made up my mind yet what the next step is going to be. I went through all the test, neurological, blood tests, brainscans and what not.

Hey, original poster here.

Did you ever have an eye or eyelid infection before the drooping occurred?

Are you color-blind?

Is the vision identical in both eyes (brightness, color shade); you can test this by sitting down in a dark room in front of a bright white computer screen (new tab), cover your left eye and stare at the screen for a few minutes through your right eye, then quickly cover your right eye and look through your left.

Did you ever go through a lengthy (severe) depressive episode?

Did you hit your head prior to the drooping? Do you often get headaches or feelings of inter-cranial pressure? Do you have dips in your skull or do you have a round head?

Can you notice drooping in old photos of yourself?

Do any of your relatives have this condition too?

I never elucidated the mystery of my sudden lazy eye, I stopped worrying about it and I feel like it has gotten a little better.

i dont mean to thread jack but i did the computer screen test with my left eye and when i switched the screen got brighter and slightly blurry. i also smoke cannabis daily but it doesnt droop until i smoke. has anyone notice it get worse if you keep smoking?

Hey. I'm a danish guy at the age of 26 (but my Ptosis started around the age of 22). Excactly like osibisa, I am in great shape, have a completely uninteresting medical history and smoke weed/hash on a semi-daily-basis. It all happened gradually and in the beginning ONLY when i smoked weed. I would notice, when looking in the mirror, that my left eye lid/brow started to droop just a little. However, as I ignorantly continoued smoking joints, the ptosis got worse and worse, but only on my left eye. After about a year the ptosis was permanent also when i was sobor, but the weed really intensified the droopyness. Now, 4 years later, it doesn't seem to get worse, but it is still psychologically hard, when looking people in the eye, they qiuckly pick up on it and start fiddling with their eyes.  

Oh I have to remember to say this, because i think it is quite interesting. osibisa, you said you felt like there was a speciefic part of your brain that had a "wierd" or "numbing" sensation too?

I get that, followed (very often) by an increase in heart rate and then sometimes anxiety if I am surrounded by people i don't know or like. Am i in good campany, the "numbing sensation" is still there, but it still gives me a good high. Is it the same for you?

I have (only after 4 years) started reading up on it and i have come to the conclusion that it might be Myasthenia gravis or epilepsi. I am going to see my doctor on Monday Jan 5th 2015, so I am anxious to know what he thinks and what the tests might conclude. I will let everybody know what my results are and the gravity of my situation.

In the meantime to all of you weed smokers who start getting lazy eye, droopy eye or any other fascial disfiguration while smoking, my only advise (and i f*****g wish somebody told me this 5 years ago!!!!) is to steadily decrease your smoking habbit, untill it is non existent. I really belive that we few who get affected this way by weed, unfair as it is, are slowly destroying our minds/brains.

I know that is not the answer you want, or i want for that matter, but weed despite how lovely the buzz, will continue to change your life for the worse. I hope this helps and like i said, i will let you know what my results are.

Happy new year from Copenhagen!