I had a lumbar fusion after painful cortizone shots twice to the region with no relief. Diagnosis was spinal stenosis. I have "terrible" osteoarthritis, & my neck is just as bad as my back, but I chose the back first because I have to walk & drive etc...well, it has not healed in fact I am way worse off now than before, w/more pain, sciatia down both legs, on the right shin & foot-numbness. I can't walk more than a few minutes without the pain deep in my hips & then down the legs. It is so frustrating. To boot-the surgeon who did this closed his office a couple of months ago & hung his pts out to dry. Thanks to "the war on drugs" I can't even get the medicine I need to function. It make every day scary to even think of moving & getting that nauseating pain. I even got the hairy eyeball from a pharmacist when he didn't like I was seeking different DRs. to properly care for me instead of setteling for "the pain clinic"-that did NO good. The surgeon NEVER told me to go to physical therapy & now that I am even more hurt, 2 boneheads said to go. WITHOUT proper meds. RIGHT! I am considering a class action lawsuit againt the orthopedist/surgeons who keep doing this operation to the tune of about $50,000.00a pop, when it has such a high failure rate. Is anyone else out there in my situation & care to share what they are doing to remedy this mess? Thanks.

hi there, last oct. i had 11 count em 11 implants with my spinal fusion and three other procedures. i am finding the same situation here in alabama. the docs hurry you up to get the surgery... mine was over $150000 now it is may... i am in constant pain, cant get meds and if i go BACK to the pain clinic... all they want to do is inject some stuff into the spine...to numb it for three days, then you have 27 days of pain...
my right leg is numb from the knee down, and my right foot drags...so what can we do?
the docs seem to forget you once they have the money paid... and since i have medicaid and medicare... wow did they get paid !!!
thee should be something we could do, but here in alabama... you can almost have your life ruined by a doc and get no attorney to try it for ya... this is bad news all the way around, good luck with your case.