can someone let me know how long before i can drive and etc..how long is recovery?

To answer your question about how long before you can drive. I had my fusion on March 6. The first month was rough, but after my 1st checkup the Dr. told me I could start driving. I tried and it really hurt my back and legs. It has now been 8 weeks and I feel 100% better. I am driving and I only take 1 pain pill a day. True there is still days that I can't get out of bed without help, but for the most everything is alot better. I go back the 18th and he will start me on therapy. At 6 weeks my fusion was already starting to produce bone. He has gave me a date to return to work and that is August 1st. Wish you the best! :-D

Hello -
I know this is an old post, but thought I would chime in. I am almost a month post L5 S1 fusion and doing well. I am already driving and am able to drive as long as I am not on any pain medicine. I mostly take the pain medicine at night to take the edge off so I can go to sleep. Other than that the days are pretty good, I go back to work in a week and I am looking forward to it. My leg numbness and pain in my pelvis area is 100% better. The incision point is still sore and is the worst part of my recovery so far.

Hi

How much movement have you lost from the fusion?

Willtom

You don't lose movement from the fusion - you regain the movement that you lost due to the pain prior to surgery. Fusing the two together allows your spine to work the way it was meant to regarding range of motion.

i have had my s1 l5 spine fusion 2weeks 2 days ago now and im hav just been cleared to drive short journeys, i have been a passenger and i am suffering no heavy pain whilst sitting in the car, I am taking no pain killers now which is amazing.

dont get me wrong i do feel pain in my back when i get up sit down but its not killing me enough to take pain killers.

I had L-5 fusion done Valentines Day 2013. I am only 13 days out and feel great not taking anything for pain not feeling any discomfort when I'm in any position , however I am slim and trim so my doc said I would do great with the surgery and so far he is right. Can't return to work though after only this short time I feel I can I mean I can feel some twitches or some resistance when I move or bend a certain way , but I am ready to go can't stand staying home not doing anything. I hope this helps anyone looking to have the surgery for what it is worth I would do it all over again today because of the relief I have experienced.

I had this done on Feb 6 2013 .I drove one time no way.its been five weeks. I amvready but cant stand to be in the car for more than 30 min. it starts to hurts.

Had my fusion done on the 14 March 2013.

The pain in the hips, buttocks and calf is bad at times.

Just a question about the function of the penis, I can not have a ejuctulation , I find this most disdressing.

Does anybody else have this problem?  :-)

Yep me too. Just had it done plus had as second because of infection and I am can not get erection.  My doctor says it can be the pain meds.

I have had three lamenectomy surgeries on L5S1. The last one was over two years ago so I thought I was in the clear. Was at the gym doing squats and felt a really sharp pain in my lower back that nearly made me fall. I stopped squatting and did some back stretches instead but now I am feeling numbness in my legs (mostly my right and in the past the numbness was always on the left). I worry that I will have to have the fusion done because my surgeon said that if this happens again there is no more room to perform a lamenectomy and it the disc would need to be fused. I work as a support technician and could work from home as long as I could sit. What is the realistic likelihood of me taking a week off work and sitting to answer support calls for a few weeks after before returning to work? I am 6'1" and weigh 220lbs

Im on the edge of getting a fusion due to esi didnt work for my l5s1.i also have cervical neck pain that requries esi.would like to know how long surgery takes for the removal of l5s1

i had l5s1 surgery done on dec 3 2013 and fusion ,itis now dec13,13 and i can walk great. but i do have pain where the surgery was done,which i was expecting. how long before i can start bending and lifting anything?

I got mine done on 1/17/14.  10 days after I drove for the first time for 10 minutes each way.  On 1/28/14 I drove 2 hours and I experience discomfort during the last 30 minutes of the drive.  Today (1/29/14) I'm in bed due to pain on my hips. The surgery area does not hurt as much

recovery time for L5 S1 Fusion: I had that surgery on 15 December. didn't have pain before surgery, just numbing, but in 2 months I went from a golfer walking the course to almost wheel chair bound. had 2 drop feet starting with the right then the left. I mention this because now, 6 weeks after surgery, the right foot is beginning to respond so that I can move it up a bit but not the left yet. both are still "drop foot". I still have no pain, just electrical jolts in my feet and lower legs, especially after going to bed at night - why not ! Best of luck to you too, take care.