Can somebody tell me what could be the cause of fast heart beat in 20 year old boy? It is about my 20 year old son who is experiencing extremely fast heart beat recently especially during or after his physical training or jogging –he is playing basketball for years now and never had fast heart beat problem until 2 months ago. I think he might have developed some serious health condition and I was shocked yesterday while measuring his heart rate it was beating faster than 150 per minute. Do you think this could be some serious sign and how come such fast heart beat in 20 years old?

Whenever it comes to some heart condition the years are not the matter so certain heart condition such as fast heart beat are very common in 20 year old. Anyway I think that such fast heart beat in your son may easily be the symptom of atrial fibrillation especially if it is accompanied with palpitations sensations such as fluttering or with some weird sensation of heartbeat racing but also the fast heart rate in patients with atrial fibrillation could be followed by breathless or chest pain and dizziness. Anyway though the atrial fibrillation is usually harmless I advice your son have some medical control for in some cases fast heart beat may cause blood clotting resulting in some serious conditions such as stroke or heart attack-which is usually not the case in atrial fibrillation but just to make sure he better have some check ups. And also there nay be the risk of heart failure due to such fast heart rate and if it is of more severe form than some beta blockers are being prescribed along with Calcium Channel blockers and with digoxin which slows down the heart beat.