Hi I am 16 and about a year ago I was at school when my first attack happened.one of my friends scared me when I was in the hall way and my chest started tightening and my legs went numb and my heart started beating out of control, I couldn’t sit still my pulse would rock me back and forth so I had my mom take me to the doctor they couldn’t find any thing cause my heart rate had returned back to normal so they had me go see an pediatric heart specialist and he just had me bring home a monitor for a couple of months to put to my chest if I had another episode but of course I never had one. Well 6 months after that I was in gym and I was running and I had it again I just sat down on the bleachers cause I didn’t want to cause a scene so I called my mom to come get me from school and I went home and sat the episode out with the chest tightening and the rapid heart beat and palpations. Latter that day I felt better I just felt weak the rest of the day.I was afraid of having another attack at school so my mom put me in home school.Well last week was the worst one yet I was folding cloths and my chest had the tighten feeling again and I knew what was coming then I had the rapid heart beat and I got lightheaded and my mom called EMS and their machine in the ambulance couldnt read my pulse because it was so high so they got me on the ECG and found out my pulse was at 220 bpm so they started an IV and gave me Adenosine and it came don to 130 bpm in seconds. The ER doctor told me I had SVT (supra ventricular Tachycardia) and he wants me to go back to the cardiologists January 14 2008 to run more test and see what is causing it.But can this be serious and what can be some underlying causes? It has gotten to were iam afraid to be alone cause I am afraid of another attack ! :-(

hi,

I've been suffering from SVT since I was your age, 16 and now I'm 31. I kind of learned living with it and it happens me very frequently....weekly!! I found out that The most effective way to stop the fast hearbeat is my sitting on a chair and put your head down between your legs, or also sometimes when it does not work i take a deep breath, keep it inside. Those are tricks that work for me, sometimes they dont, but before trying anything consult your doctor

Symptoms can come on suddenly and may go away without treatment. Stress, exercise, and emotion can all result in a normal or physiological increase in heart rate, but can also, though more rarely, precipitate SVT. Episodes can last a few minutes or as long as 1 or 2 days, sometimes persisting until treated. The rapid beating of the heart during SVT can make the heart a less-effective pump, decreasing cardiac output and blood pressure. The following symptoms are typical with a rapid pulse of 150–270 or more beats per minute:

Pounding heart
Shortness of breath
Chest pain
Rapid breathing
Dizziness
Loss of consciousness (in serious cases)

The following are types of supraventricular tachycardias, each with a different mechanism of impulse maintenance. It should be noted that while all of the below terms are technically causes of SVT, clinicians usually use the specific term/diagnosis, when possible:

SVTs from a sinoatrial source:

Sinoatrial nodal reentrant tachycardia (SNRT)
SVTs from an atrial source:

Ectopic (unifocal) atrial tachycardia (EAT)
Multifocal atrial tachycardia (MAT)
Atrial fibrillation with a rapid ventricular response
Atrial flutter with a rapid ventricular response
Without rapid ventricular response, fibrillation and flutter are usually not classified as SVT
SVTs from an atrioventricular source (junctional tachycardia):

AV nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT) or junctional reciprocating tachycardia (JRT)
Permanent (or persistent) junctional reciprocating tachycardia (PJRT), a form of JRT which occurs predominantly in infants and children but can occasionally occur in adults
AV reciprocating tachycardia (AVRT) - visible or concealed (including Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome)
Junctional ectopic tachycardia (JET)

From what you have described its either

Sinus tachycardia is considered physiological or "appropriate" when a reasonable stimulus, such as the catecholamine surge associated with fright, stress, or physical activity, provokes the tachycardia. It is distinguished by a presentation identical to a normal sinus rhythm except for its fast rate (>100 beats per minute in adults). It is generally not considered SVT.

As described from your first two episodes this is a likely trigger.

Sometimes when an episode starts holding your breath and tensing up your muscles and pushing downward like your making a bowel movement works and relieves the symptoms.