I have cousin whose child is diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I found it scary so little child could suffer form something like this. I know that is problem in heard work, which is why, I think that should be serious condition. Can you tell me more about this problem or disease; I do not know how to call it.

Some impulses are conducted into, but not through, the AV node, and in atrial fibrillation, they are blocked within the AV node. This is a form of concealed conduction found in this disease. This is important since such non-conducted impulses contribute to the overall refractoriness of the AV node. For this reason, the ventricular rate of atrial fibrillation is often slower than that seen in atrial tachycardia or atrial flutter, also heart diseases. Although the atria are continuously depolarized, combination of AV junctional arrhythmias and ventricular arrhythmias is common in patients who have atrial fibrillation. Some of these rhythms are related to the treatment of atrial fibrillation with drugs, as your cousin’s doctor choice could be. Problem is also that atrial fibrillation leads to ineffective atrial transport and the loss of the atrial contribution to cardiac output. Important is to understand that very rapid atrial rate also produces an incredible number of stimuli for the AV junction. This is causing irregular conduction of the impulses through the AV junction, and producing the irregular ventricular response. Atrial fibrillation also brings up the risk for development of an atrial thrombus and systemic arterial embolism. However, there is no need to worry about this, because doctors usually take care about this.