Hi. I was wondering can any of you explain me what the maze procedure is? It looks like that my older son Evan needs to have this procedure, but he is so nervous about it and he won't tell me anything about it. I would go to visit his doctor but I don't know him. I am worried. I don't know what to do because I am feeling helpless. So I found out this site, I was reading a little bit your questions and answers, and I think that you can help me. What is maze procedure and for what heart condition it is used? Tnx in advance. 

Hello Guest. Can you tell me has your son had some problems with his health before? Look, this procedure, the maze procedure is a surgical treatment for atrial fibrillation. It can also be called a surgical ablation. In those cases, the surgeon can use small incisions, radio waves, freezing, or microwave or ultrasound energy to create scar tissue. The scar tissue usually blocks the abnormal electrical signals causing the arrhythmia. The scar tissue directs electric signals through a controlled path, or maze, to the lower heart chambers (ventricles). This is something that can be very serious if it is not treated on time.

When my son got married I haven't heard about him for two months. I don't know why, but his wife hates me. Maybe because I didn't want to move out from my house because of them. I don't know, but that is not the point why I am here. I know that he never was sick in his life. For the last couple of months he was complaining about some discomfort in his chest, but he believed that this is because of the bronchitis. And now this. I called him and like I already told you, he won't tell me anything.

Good day two of you.

I am sorry to hear this. But all of this that you were telling me means that he has problems with his heart and I am afraid that this condition can be very serious.  Maze procedure is a open heart surgery or procedure. As an open - chest procedure, it is usually performed on patients needing open-heart surgery for other issues, such as valve replacement or repair or coronary artery bypass. This is usually called "concomitant surgery," and that means  that it's done along with another procedure. It is performed on either a stopped or a beating heart.

Now I am scared. Open - heart surgery can't be something good, right? I don't know what to do. I need to find out what exactly he is dealing with, so I can consult my doctor and ask him more about this. Tell me, please - when someone is that sick or when he has some really dangerous diagnose, can you tell me are there any chances that some medications can heal it? Is this maze procedure or surgery, whatever it is that necessary? Please, let me know as much as you know about it. What are the most common heart conditions for what this procedure is being used?

Hi everyone,

Maze procedure is used for atrial fibrillation and nothing else. It got its name for what this procedure does and how the signals work when the surgery is over.

It can be an open heart surgery and it can be done with only small incision. If he happens to have an open heart surgery, he will need more time to recover than he would need if he went for the easier surgery option (the one with small incision). Also, an open heart surgery carries more risks than the one with a small incision. I'm holding my fingers crossed for your son.

Atrial fibrillation , or AF, is the most common type of arrhythmia. An arrhythmia is a problem with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat. During an arrhythmia, the heart can beat too fast, too slow, or with an irregular rhythm.

AF occurs if rapid, disorganized electrical signals cause the heart's two upper chambers called the atria, to fibrillate. The term "fibrillate" means to contract very fast and irregularly. In AF, blood pools in the atria. It isn't pumped completely into the heart's two lower chambers, called the ventricles. As a result, the heart's upper and lower chambers don't work together as they should.

Hey Guest, Your son might be in danger of a stroke, it depends on how severe his condition is. If he is already scheduled to have this procedure done, then his condition might be more severe then you would think. Luckily, everything will turn out to be okay. People who have atrial fibrillation (AF), even permanent AF, can live normal, active lives. If he has AF, ongoing medical care is important. He should keep all of his medical appointments. He should bring a list of all the medicines he's taking to every doctor and emergency room visit. This will help his doctor know exactly what medicines he's taking.

Hi everyone,

This shouldn't be that dangerous as long it is being treated as it should be. Your son has been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation which is the first good step towards fixing his condition. This maze procedure should do the trick. It has a high success rate and usually leaves people without any consequences of the procedure.

Your son will just have to follow whatever his doctor tells him to do if he wants to treat this and if he wants to live a healthy life. It won't be that hard, I'm guessing it will take some time to adjust but he'll do it.