Hey guys. Just now I received a phone call from my friend. She called to tell me that she was diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and that she is terrified because she is trying to have a baby. Now she is not sure can she continue with that procedure? I also don’t know is this situation that dangerous, especially because I don’t know what the main cause of it is.

I really hope that here is someone who knows more about it?

Can you tell me what causes paroxysmal atrial fibrillation?

Tnx a lot for any information...

Hey there.

Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that usually occurs when the two upper chambers of your heart experience some chaotic electrical signals. Now, abnormalities or damage to the heart’s structure are the most common cause of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Possible causes can be: high blood pressure, heart attacks, coronary artery disease, abnormal heart valves, sick sinus syndrome, lung disease, viral infection, previous heart surgery, etc.

Those are all possible cause of it. And as you can see there are so many of them.

She should check with her doctor about pregnancy. That is my advice.

Hello you two.

It is very simple to understand this condition. This condition causes an irregular heartbeat and there are various causes of AF. Well, medications that doctors prescribe you and they can slow a very fast heart rate and ease symptoms. Sometimes the atrial fibrillation treatment can restore the heart rhythm back to normal.

Atrial fibrillation occurs when abnormal electrical impulses suddenly start firing in the atria. Well, these impulses override the heart’s natural pacemaker, which can no longer control the rhythm of the heart. This is causing you to have irregular pulse rate.

That is just one of the causes.

Hey there. I believe that guests were talking about typical atrial fibrillation. They were not talking about those type that you want to know about. If you are dealing with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, the faulty electrical signals and rapid heart rate begin suddenly and they just stop at one moment on their own. You can have severe symptoms and they can be mild or even severe. But the good thing is that they will stop within about a week. From all the experience that I am familiar with, symptoms usually last less than 24 hours.

I really hope that I have helped you!

Hey. Yes, I do agree that with proper treatment this maybe is not that dangerous but you need to know that time after time, some atrial fibrillation episodes can become more frequent and they can last longer as well. And trust me, this is not a good sign. When this happens medications usually become less effective and they stop to work very soon. In some patients the occasional episodes of this can be constant. That is why you need to be very careful with this disease. Once you find out the cause of it you need to be in constant touch with your doctor and you need to control it.