I’ve noticed that sometimes have fast heart beat when wake up. It has never been associated to bad dreams or something. I can not exactly to establish the connection between waking up and fast heart rate; I have always thought that it can be connected to increased physical activity or tiredness. Should I ask for professional help? I haven’t noticed any other symptoms. I’m 24, female.

I had the same dilemma 2 months ago when started having arrhythmia like palpitations every morning. That really scared me, so I did all the blood tests that were suggested to do and some other exams like ecg and holter. I really did not have to do all that, and so the doctor told me that there was no need. So, the conclusion was that it happens to everyone, these palpitations are absolutely normal thing, especially in young people. They can occur without reason. They can be absolutely idiopathic and benign. But of course, you can visit your doctor, talk to him and check your condition. Take care of cigarettes and caffeine.

It could well be accosiated to stress. You should still visit your doctor just in case. A simple ultrasonography vill ensure your heart is all right.

I had the same thing, a fast heartrate while sleeping, which woke me up,
this went on for a long while.
It turned out to be caused by an over active thyroid.

ty for what you guys posted becuase now i know
what could be causing me waking up with a pounding heart. Im only 15 but when ever i wake up i always have a fast pounding heart. I gess I'm stressed out and I should go see a doctor just incase it might be somthing else.

Please get checked for sleep apnea. It may save your health

wow, this morning i sort of woke up with the same thing. it was really weird though,

i just woke up and i noticed that my heart was beating like over 200 bpm. but i was not sweating, no chest pains, and my breathing was very normal. i dint feel a thing, my heart wasent even beating hard, i couldnt feel it in my cheast. i only felt it when i took my pulse. i dint count the beats, but i know it was over 200bpm. it lasted for 30-90 seconds...

i just looked up tacycadria on the net, but i really dont know. im 17yo...

i dint know if mabey i woke up in a bad sleep cycle, or if this just happens, of if it could be somthing serious.

I read on yahoo answers that it's your Sympathetic Nervous System which prompts you to defend yourself in times of stress.

In my case, I had been drinking (alcohol) and went to bed a little bit sick but not too sick. My SNS woke me up in fear that I was going to throw up all over my partners room. Not a good idea.
I'm always afraid of throwing up on peoples things. This caused me stress before I went to sleep therefore when the sickness got worse my body told me to wake up by increasing my heat rate (It was very fast and loud and it continued much longer than I had thought it would. Only when I had a glass of water and my sickness went away I felt better and my heart slowed.
I may have been hyperventilating after I awoke for fear I was even more sick than I actually was.

I hope all of you get better! Remember to try to go to bed STRESS FREE!!

Same thing happened to me. I woke up 1 morning with my heart beating fast. But the night before that I was very tired before I went to bed so I was hoping it wasn't because of stress. Even tho I did had an argument with my mom. The fast heart beat lasted for like 10-12 minutes. I tried drinking water between that and it started slowing down but when I had woke up with my heart beating fast I didn't even have chest pain or even felt my heart beating fast only when I had put my hand on my chest I could feel it beating fast. My breathing was fine but after I drank some water I stepped out my house for a nice cool breath air because its was too hot in my house.

I have the same problem. I researched on the internet and got a yoga breathing technique. It is to inhale slowly and also exhale very slowly. It slowed down my heart beat instantly. but it comes back fast again so i continue with the breathing exercise and it helps the rate come down. Also i try to drink a glass of water every morning when i wake up coz they say the blood is the thickest in the morning so drinking water as soon as we wake up helps dilute the blood and prevents heart attacks.

Hey same happend to me. I woke up and I feelt my heart was trying, to bust its way out of there. When I turned on the light it felt like I was going to exsplode.I walked 3 meters and I've got to my office PC. I saw my mp3 and I thought ''Bob Marley, save me now!" And it feelt like he did.

Sorry to necropost. I'm a mixed martial artist and yesterday was the first day of a low calorie diet and the first day in a long time without junk food. I worked out hard yesterday, and this morning I woke up with a heart rate of 180-200 bpm, no joke. I was scared because I can't even get my heart rate up to 200 bpm during exercise. there was no pain. i think it may be due to stress like stated above. Luckily I'm 21, if i was old or obese who knows what would have happened... I wouldn't go out of my way to ask for professional help, but if you happen to be getting a checkup or something you should bring it up.

Hi, the insights provided here seems to be great. I am also having the same problem of having really fast heart beats in mornings when i wake up. So can i consider the reason to be this probelm being mostly Stress? To give a background i am going through a bad relationship. Do i need to consult a doctor or should i wait and observe till me stress level goes down.? I am 26yrs of age.

SVT or supraventricular Tachycardia is normal in young people and people in there early 20's. My SVT was Caused by too much caffine in my diet. Its not life threatening. People using get it mixed with VT or ventricular Tachycardia which is life threatening...

When one is very dehydrated it lowers the volume of blood, which makes the heart have to work harder to move that blood around. The signs of dehydration can include racing heart, nausea, weakness. First see if drinking water helps. It doesn't usually take long--maybe 10-30 minutes.