Hello, good people. My mother was diagnosed atrial flutter. I know that this kind of arrhythmia is not life threatening, but it can increase risk for a heart attack. I would like to know what the standard treatment procedure is for this condition. I would really appreciate this piece of info.

Hi. The standard atrial fibrillation treatment means medications. These medications are supposed to control the rate at which ventricles contract. The first option is digoxin, but this drug is usually not enough to do the job. That is why a beta blocker like propranolol or atenolol is added. Calcium channel blocker can be added instead. Those are diltiazem or verapamil. These drugs slower the beating of ventricles. Other drugs are used to convert the atrial arrhythmia into a normal rhythm. Those are: amiodarone, sotalol or propafenone. Anticoagulants can also be introduced.