I have terrible problem with my grandfather. He always complains about pain he feels. I have a friend who told me I should ask his doctor to prescribe him Hydromorph. He told me this drug is for the relief of severe pain requiring the prolonged use of an oral opioid preparation. Can you tell me something about Hydromorph, what kind of drug is that?

It is true that Hydormorph could be prescribed for sever pain. Problem is that tolerance and physical dependence tend to develop within this medicine. That happens when upon repeated administration of hydromorph and there is a potential for abuse of the drug and for development of psychological dependence. Hydromorph should therefore be prescribed and handled with the high degree of caution. It should be appropriate to the use of a drug with strong abuse potential. Drug abuse is not a problem in patients with severe pain in which hydromorph is appropriately indicated. However, in the absence of a clear indication for analgesic, drug-seeking behavior must be suspected and resisted. This especially works for individuals with a history of, or propensity for drug abuse. Withdrawal symptoms may occur following abrupt discontinuation of therapy. Therefore, patients on prolonged therapy should be withdrawn gradually from the drug if it is no longer required.