Over the past year and a half I have had three episodes of strangeness that was at first diganosed as an inner ear virus, and then as partial seizure disorder. Even after anti seizure meds I am still having problems.

My first problem started as a feeling of strange vision, where the background didn't focus as quickly as everything else. It was very subtle. Then I started getting double vision after sleeping. It took a minute or so to go away. I would get off balance feelings. I also had some headaches. I had CT scan, MRI, audiology tests, vision testing and exhaustive blood work done without them finding anything as a real cause. I was diagnosed as having had an inner ear virus and they had me do some vision therapy. After 3 months it just went away.

2nd episode a couple months later was the same thing, feeling off balance and some headaches, head pressure, but no double vision. It was much better than the first time. I went to a neurologist who did an EEG which came back as having some spikes so they decided it was a partial seizure disorder and prescribed meds. By the time I took the meds I was already better so had no idea if they were working or not. This episode lasted 2.5 months.

I was fine for a year and then got this off feeling, very minor off balance, much less than the previous time, some neck pain, head pressure and also some weirdness/pressure behind my right eye. This has been going on for 6 weeks now. I had my dose of Keppra upped and I still have no relief. My neuro is confused as I have this 24 hours a day for months at a time...not quite like a seizure problem which is much much shorter in duration. They are doing another longer EEG next week that is videotaped. I show no outward signs of seizure. I don't have noticeable auras, no blacking out, no actual seizures. The neuro is also confused about why the meds aren't working for me.

Has anyone else had this type of problem and figured out what it was? Or any other thoughts about what itmight be? I'm unsure of the seizure disorder diagnosis as these things last every day for months at a time, pretty much 24/7. Its not consistant with seizure behaviour. I have had migraines this last year which is totally new to me, but assumed it started after taking the Keppra, as a side effect as I didnt get them before this.

I'm stumped and have researched the heck out of everything I can think of. I could use some ideas or thoughts if anyone else out there has this.

Please r/o temporal arteritis. 

I have had this twice on the past three years Lasts a couple months. I suspect a virus of some kind leaves lingering nerve issues. My husbands uncle had it too and is aged and it really debilitated him. I am a nurse practitioner and can tell you docs are mystified by this and many other diseases we see crop up so hang in there. My advice is to see a naturopath.belladonna has given me some relief. Good luck.

i have something extremely similar, although my symptoms decreased with gabapentin at a higher dosage -- 2400mg.  I am thankful that I have some relief but I'm curious as to whether or not it has to do with my TMJ (I grind my teeth and hold my jaw improperly).  I am going to PT for that, might I suggest asking your dentist whether or not you have symptoms of grinding your teeth?  TMJ can have symtoms of pressure behind the eye, pain/headaches, neck tightness, and head pressure (all things I've had).  I have to admit since using a decent night guard and day guard a lot of these symptoms (head pressure, etc) has decreased significantly...  I still have a bunch of other issues going on: neck pain, vertigo...

my off balance is a lot worse than yours and I don't exactly have your vision problems, but our similarities amaze me.

Also I would suggest going to an otoneurologist if your off balance becomes worse (they specialize in people that have balance disorders -- amazing work they do).  Finally I would go to a quality eye doctor to make sure nothing is going on with the eyes.

I can very much agree with the debilitating part. The thing I don't like though it everything looks normal so after a while people just think your being lazy or not trying to get better but after 6 or 7 years and all kinds of tests like the origingal poster you kind of give up. I am trying an upper cervical chyropracter and I can see a nerve that is probably not working properly and that nerve would also cause these symptoms.

I'm 16 and for the past few weeks I feel off balance, dizzy, not in my own body, numb, shaky, and I also recently noticed I have an lazy eye.. I don't know if it's diabetes bc my mom just checked me and my blood sugar was low.. or what but my life feels fake. I feel alone. I have no way to get to the doctor.. I have a bad history of panic attacks but this can't be one bc it's been over 3 weeks. Also when I move my head a certain way I get off balance/dizzy. I'm also having trouble thinking

You should get your spinal fluid checked and have things like hashimoto encephalopathy ruled out also an ANA done.

Have you had any updates? This sounds like exactly how I am feeling and I have had this on and off for 10 years (I am 30 yrs old now) I would love to know if there is anything I can do...rather than my mind making me feel like a have a brain tumor. No doctors have ever done any test on me for any of my complaints.

Hi I know it has been over a year since you posted this but I am just wondering if anyone has had any of the following symptoms and if ye have any advice or anything at all on what to do.

Exactly one year ago, all of a sudden out of nowhere I got this sever pressure in my forehead. Six weeks later a feeling of off balance, as if I walking on an unsteady boat.
Two or three months after this I experienced extreme neck pain.

I have been to GP, Ent, Neurologist, Chiropractor, Osteopath, Physio, Physical Therapy, eye tests, Dentist, Massage, blood tests, Mris. VTR Therapy etc. nothing has worked and nobody seems to know what is wrong with me. The neurologist put me on Amitriptyline which hasn't worked either and have gone up as far as 100mg.

These symptoms have been ongoing for the last year I would really appreciate if anyone has any information on what might be causing these symptoms.

Maria

Hi Guys, I have this exact feeling. Mine started after a bad ear pain for approx 1 week. I have ended up feeling slightly woozy and my eyes seem to be a little strange when looking into the near distance. I have started having headaches.

I've not had an MRI yet but back at ENT on friday.

I'm convinced I've got something wrong with my brain or in my brain...

How are you all doing now? Could this be a brain tumour?

I have similar symptoms, but it comes and goes. It normally happens during the winter months. I feel off-balanced. Slight headace, eyes feel heavy. It went away for years and now it is back.