I’ve experience dizzy spells for the last 15 years; perhaps less than 10 attacks from 1997-2011. I’ve had noise in the ear and plugged ear always the same one ear. I had multiple ear infections in childhood and have had a few head traumas. Sometimes my hearing can improve. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with cat allergies????

In 2004, I had a MRI show 5 bulging discs in my low back. L1-5, SI. I’ve had 2 car accidents hit on the right and left, no whiplash though.

Recently, Dec – Jan 2012 severe Vertigo 5 attacks in the last 10 weeks, the vertigo went away after the 6th week, the loss of balance has continued intermittently with an impending threat of vertigo(PTS) I've have severe neck pain, jaw pain, cranial pain, headaches.
The ENT doc(s) have determined that I have Meniere’s (hearing loss, tinnitus, and dizziness) this is based on symptoms and hearing test. They have prescribed diuretics to remove fluids. The first time I took the diuretic I had adverse effects.

Not satisfied, I pushed for an MRI. Good thing; it showed 5mm cerebellar tonsillar ectopia on horizontal MRI, vertical MRI can show much worse. The neurologist working with the ENT, said it was mild and unremarkable (typical response). CTE can considered dangerous in most of the online information that I’ve found especially if it becomes a Chiari malformation with the development of syrinx - a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid (CSF). The symptoms of CTE can be as follows: dizziness, nausea, hearing problems, ear problems, and loss of balance, head and neck pain, pressure in head (cranial).

Now I have been reading about Occipital Neuralgia and the symptoms, which include dizziness. I’m getting confused, and frustrated. I’m losing hope in this effort to find the answer to my problem. I immediately improve with chiropractic adjustments; the problem is I cannot afford to go to the DC every other day.

I’m requesting a second MRI (vertical) and a second opinion to rule out (hopefully) CTE or Chiari Malformation. At this point I would choose to have a surgery in hopes of a restored heath and vigor as opposed to taking medications that are supposed to address symptoms because they can’t find the solution.

I used to be a person who went to exercise daily, I have a healthy diet, and drink plenty of water. I’ve never used recreational drugs. Drink very little alcohol. It’s really hard to feel like I’ve had a stroke or I’m debilitating. On a good day I am nausea free and almost feel normal, I feel my heart beat in my ear,it feels like my brain and eyes are delayed not tracking when I move or like I’m moving inside my head, sometimes I feel pulled to the left, like I might fall over, last night I felt like I was going have another attack of vertigo. When I start to move with some momentum I all of the sudden feel uneasy and begin to feel a vestige of nausea

Can anyone on here make some suggestions?

Hi Convivial,

Me too! Woke up 3-24-12 morning & had major dizzy rush, then nausea, then as it all subsided, chills. By 3-26 was okay enough to go to stores but if I bended from waist or moved my neck in an odd position, dizzy. Even if not dizzy, feel off-kilter, foggy sometimes. Went to massage therapist today & felt wonderful afterwards. No dizziness even when bending but didn't try different neck positions. I'm afraid to move my neck! When I got home, I was cold again but no dizziness, some soreness, no pain. I put on a soft neck brace I had from the past just to protect my neck so I could feel better longer. Later the neck brace was too confining, took off and my neck was stiff. Moved neck to side and heard loud pop. Neck not stiff after that. My hands had been stiff too and after massage hands were no longer stiff. I do have light arthritis. I am on the computer for hours on end and my hobby is making beaded jewelry, both activities in which I look down for long periods of time. On another page of this website, many people had this:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Weak_neck__dizzy__fatigued__heavy_head__feel_sick__help__t138328.html

I was going to try the chiropractor but many people at above address had no success with that. I feel like my neck is out of alignment and the muscles are weak because I haven't been doing upper body exercises. When I did feel dizzy from 3-24 until today before massage, I did really soft neck exercises and that stopped the dizziness. It has to be connected to something having to do with the neck although a pharmacist suggested dehydration today. That could be, since there is little moisture in the air in the winter in the Pacific Northwest. I've got a humidifier going right now. Still, that doesn't explain the connection to the neck. 

Just wanted you to know there are others with this same problem. Check out that address and all the replies to see what others have found and the best of luck to you in finding the answer. I'll be searching too.

Do you feel like you have no idea how to hold your head? Has your center been lost, is more or less my question.

Your info is all over the place and I'm trying to figure out if your cervical and head issues have anything to do with your lower back issues. Get this cleared up and distinguished and your problems will be easier to address.

Stop the soft collars!! They're quack treatments and an easy way for a doctor to get your out of his office. They just hyperextend your muscles and make your pain worse in many cases, and also patients are eager to wear them as much as possible because they're under the impression that the more they wear it, the better they should feel, and this is just not true at all.

Stay away from chiropractors. They're also quacks. I had a chiropractor COMPLETELY screw up my neck and went through a horrible 8 months of physical therapy and meds just to get over what he did to me. Just because your neck CRACKS doesn't mean that your suddenly in alignment. It's ridiculous how these guys make tons of money and hurt just as many people as they claim to help. I've never met a person that says chiros have ever worked for them...at least with a straight face...

You're sleeping wrong. If you go to bed feeling fine and wake up feeling like c**p, it's really just a matter of fact. The issues stem from what happened with your body when you did sleep wrong, and it's likely a lightly irritated nerve. It'll work out if you just do some light physical therapy and keep up with a massage therapist that isn't too aggressive.

If you keep sleeping in an awkward position, you'll just exacerbate the problem, so try different positions, because sometimes the most comfortable position when you sleep may end up being the worst for when you wake up and have to actually be in a vertical position.

And remember, MRIs are given lying down...so they can't see the true impact gravity and the vertical position has on your spine and surrounding tissues. If you get an MRI, get a vertical one. Unless you don't do anything but lie down, a horizontal MRI won't give you accurate info.

If a pharmacist told you it could be dehydration, they should go back to school...

Try ibuprofen (common reply, right?), if it works, it's likely inflammation. If not, try 3 over the period of 2 hours. If your pain goes away or lessens before you complete this, then stop. It's less than prescription ibuprofen, but enough to see if you've got inflammation problems or not. Obviously you want to eat something, drink water, and make sure your body is up to taking the anti-inflammatory.

If this doesn't quell your pain, you may have to seek a real doctor and try some light muscle relaxers or something like neurontin...these shouldn't be prescribed to take religiously, rather you should see yourself as a sort of test rat and you're trying different meds to isolate the problem in order to find a proper physical therapy treatment program you can follow at home (for free...).

Just figure out this...is it tendons or muscles, is it a pinched nerve perhaps, or maybe it's inflammation of discs or soft tissues.....if you figure this out, you'll be able to isolate your treatment and tailor it to your needs and bypass all that BS that you end up spending tons of money on that never result in any progress.

And I'm done.....I'm not a doc! I'm just a guy who has had many concussions, cervical nerve damage, and has been recently feeling about 90% after 3.5 years of physical therapy and excruciating pain.

But my story isn't the issue here...I hope you find your answers. It's just elimination and isolation.

Ask your doctor about a VAD or Vertebral Artery Disection.. and don't have a Chiro manipulate your neck!  It can torsion the vertebral artery and cause a TIA that includes vertigo, numbness, pain, dizziness, etc etc.  You will need an MRA to get a good resolution image of those two arteries.  Aparently it takes 6 months or it to heal, and most VAD sufferers get put on arixtra, heparin or warfarin for 6 months until the artery heals, or at the very least gets a low does aspirin if those drugs have dangerous side effects.  VAD victims seem to be prescribed aspirin for life after the ordeal also, so keep that in mind as well.

I've been concerned about a VAD with my symptoms - had vertigo in february twice, followed by chronic dizziness up to now, although it has subsided a great deal. around late march i started getting a strange sensation in the neck.. is like a stiffness but there's a strange tingly sensation as well.. i'm concerned that it's vascular in nature, but it could be ligament or tendon pulls also.  I must be crazy to have not been to a doctor over this, but i don't trust the doctors in this town - as crazy as it sounds. In any case be very careful with the neck

First, thank you so much for replying to my post. I appreciate that you were concerned. The dizziness is now gone altogether. At this point I'm thinking it was a number of issues, a combo of stiff neck & shoulders for 3 years & dehydration. However, now I'm having lower back issues but think it is because as I get massaged and the neck & shoulders relax, the rest of my back has to adjust. Again, thanks for your concern. It's odd to me that someone out there in the big world who doesn't even know me would be concerned about me. It's an idealistic's dream! Thanks!

Maybe it's the misplaced crystals in your ear that control balance. It's really called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Those car accidents were likely to have moved 'em around on you.

View this article:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103463398

Thank you for this information, I wrote it down for further research. My massage therapist did mention ear rocks although she told me that isn't the technical term for it .I'm sure she was referring to the BPPV that you have written about. I've been meaning to research this but now that this problem has stopped, it went to the bottom of my list of things I need to do! Thank you so much for your information.

HI there, i am wondering if you found relief and what kind of relief did you find?. I am going through this for way too long myself and it pretty much controls my every day well being.

If you find out why, tell me. I developed the worst vertigo a few months ago where any slight movement of the head caused everything to spin beyond control for four days (like drinking a bottle of vodka in minutes). The vertigo came back when I had the flu a few weeks later. The other night, my neck pains were so bad I could barely sleep. Night sweats are normal under the medication I'm currently on. And about five years ago, I developed "rosachea" and all my joints pop regularly now, along with regular, minor heart pains. My blood work a few years ago also showed bone deterioration, unexpected weight loss for the time of year, and excessive lactic acid (my guess since I didn't get to see the charts) in the muscles when I wasn't working out. I'd go to the doctor, but even with health insurance and their docs, it would have taken years and thousands out of my pocket to figure it out. I just keep telling myself that too much caffeine and stress caused everything, but I know better...playing doctor isn't very smart, but without good insurance and doctors, you're sort of on your own. I recommend a good doctor and cheap testing....good luck.

OMG! I wish I hadn't read this. 15 years? I've been dealing with it for 16 months and I feel like there's no hope. I could have written this post myself. The only thing I don't have is the nausea - thank God for small miracles. I've never had any major head trauma (a bump or two here or there, but nothing severe). I went through the whole BPVV thing (non-positional vertigo. Cured they said. Life is hideous. Then I recently started to see a chiropractor and after 1 visit could finally walk again without stutter stepping like a 90 year old with two hip and knee replacements! I had been doing pretty good and then today... Seeing an internist who's checking me for heavy metals. I've seen 4 neurologist and about to see my 5th. No answers, no diagnosis. One tried to put me on seizure medicine even after she said I wasn't having seizures! I've seen 3 ENT's, had a balance test, tilt table, all the auditory tests (hearing is fine). I even let them talk me into getting a pacemaker (it hasn't HELPED!) My ears hurt all the time. When they're not hurting they feel full and sound is vacant (like in a tunnel or under water). Blurred vision comes and goes in severity, headaches the same. That floating, bobbing in the ocean feeling is always there though even on the good days. Just under the surface, but there. There's more, so much more, but what difference does it make. How many times, to how many people can I tell my story. There seems to be no point.

I searched searched and searched for relief for vertigo and what I found was to massage the neck near the spine and when ever I do this it always stops the vertigo in it's tracks ,it's temporary but works great

perspective is your head on straight read all the reviews on peoples issues the chiropractor is amazing you may find the relief ,cure your so looking for ,take this info to a chiropractor to help with your issues good luck but make sure you read all the info

Massage massage massage get into the habit as if u do have a damaged nerve this will loosen the nerve temporarily giving you relief from pain ,vertigo etc ,I swear by this iv suffered for years and I was in a car accident last year and have nerve damage and this is the only thing that's effective for me ,please read the post I put on for that website it makes sense and will hopefully help you out good luck ,Jackie in uk

Read my reply for vertigo on here