Last year i was taking nasonex nasal spray, i suffered from palpitaions, insomnia and vision loss in one eye that came back completely over a period of 12 weeks. I saw an eye specialist at the hospital and diagnosed me with possible optical neuritis but found nothing wrong with the eye, no inflammation just reduced colour loss and vision loss. This all happened at a time when i went back to work after maternity leave. The palpitations and insomnia stopped once i stopped taking nasonex. I now take nasobec and have had not problems. I did suffer vision loss and migraine in the other eye for a week 4 years ago and had a ct scan and was diagnosed with poor drainage of the sinuses and given a nasal spray. The ENT specialist was unsure whether the sinus problems could cause vision loss or eye pain. I mentioned this to the eye specialist recently and he didnt think the two episodes of vision loss were related.

Any help on the subject would be appreciated as the eye problem was quite worrying, the nose problem seems to be controlled with a nasobec and a change in diet i.e cutting down on dairy products. But having had possible optical neuritis is worrying as it may cause Multiple Schlorosis. My aunty has also had optical neuritis and had steroids to correct her vision.

Is it possible for a sinusitis sufferer to experience vision loss with or without eye pain or to have palpitations, insomnia or feelings of anxiety whilst using a nasal spray to treat allergic rhinitis in particular nasonex. %-)

Had another episode of ON (April 2007) in the same eye whilst having sinus problems again it took 2 coarses of antibiotics to stop the sinus pain but i still have fullness in my ears and popping and occasional headaches, had a swollen lymph node in my neck which has gone now. Saw an ENT doc and he has given me Flixonase nasule drops instead and arranged a CT scan. I have no hearing loss just a periodic hum which is sometimes pulsating and my vision isnt completely back to normal. I was diagnosed with ethmoidal sinusitis 5 years ago and want to know if anyone else is suffering with sinus problems and optic neuritis?

I can't believe what I am reading when I read your post, I know it has been a long time since you posted but I have just found it. I have lost vision (blurred and color distortion) in my right eye, they are starting with an ultrasound of my arteries in my neck, then an MRI then to the retnea specialist for two more tests. I seem to think it has something to do with my sinuses. I have pressure in my ear's pain in my sinus area, a lot of pressure ringing in my ears. Did they ever find out what caused your vision loss?If so please let me know what they found. I am really curious. Thank you for any insight you can share!

and it scares the hell out of me. I have had "idiopathic optic neuritis" on and off for 13 years. I have lost some areas of my visual field because of it. i have terrible sinus disease and the last ON flare up came about 5 weeks after a horrible sinus infection.

I wish you both the best of luck and if you find a good oto out there willing to make the connection please post their name!!

I've got pain in my right eye and sinusitis that's affecting my ear. Am trying Nasonex, saline solution, and steam while waiting for a CT scan this week. The blurry vision is scarey. No solution to this yet.

I am having the same problems. Sinus pain-- sometimes very severe-- on and off since Oct. Declining vision in my right eye since about the same time. Been to my doctor and to my eye doctor and then to a retinal specialist.

I've not been diagnosed with anything, other than that they agree my vision loss is surprising.

Currently it hurts from my neck up to my jaw and my sinuses and behind my eye and my vision in that eye is very poor.

I hope we'll all find answers and relief soon!

Have you been diagnosed with a sinus infection? Sometimes sinus infections can linger around for quite awhile and remain undetected. It can cause the same eye pain you are having. It is best to have it checked out. It looks like you did go to the doctor but recently have you been sick with flu like symptoms or a severe cold. What is your day to day routine? Are you in front of the computer for long stretches, and if so, is this relatively new to you - as in starting a new job? Lots of questions, but things to think about. Keep going to the doctor if you can until you get the answers you need, especially if symptoms seem to worsen or just don't decrease over time. Keep us updated on what transpires. Best of luck to you.

I have similar symptoms plus one eweball prushed forward from behind (proptosis) causing double visionand facial swelling around eyes (which themselves are clear). Most fitting cause seemes to be Allergic Fungal sinusitis. It's not a fungal infection but after exposure to fungal spores, they cn lodge in sinuses and if you are allergic to them a lot of white cells including eosinophils gather and make a stickey thisk mucous which is hard to get rid of without surgical washout of sinuses.
I'm better (eye receeded, less swelling, less double vision) after Flixonase, Sodium chromoglycate spray, decongestants, systemic antihistamine and eye drops.
Just a thought - as the condition does not seem well known yet.

My daughter is 10 years old. She has had an MRI and been diagnosed with Pansinusitis. Which is an inflamation of all four sinus cavities at one time.The MRI noted sinus thickening in 3 of the 4 cavities. This occured after a Scarletina rash and 104.7 temperature and being treated for strep. She has been complaining of headaches and and now vision problems that include color distortion and loss of peripheral vision. I have been trying to find out as much information as possible. It seems you are experiencing the same things. Please continue to post. As soon as I get more info I will post again.

To the person who posted above--I am really sorry to hear that your daughter has been diagnosed with pansinusitus and I am sure that it's painful for her right now. Can you explain to us a little bit what they are doing to help her deal with the symptoms? I imagine that they are doing antibiotics but I'm not quite sure. Thanks for letting us know!

Strange to come across this website. I suffer from terrible inner ear pain and my ENT specialist recommended an MRI scan and taking Nasonex. Now the MRI came back fine (good stuff). But I now have blurred vision for the past two weeks. I had an episode like this last year (exactly this time) and was advised by a retina specilaist that everything seemed ok and that this was a virus. I really dislike spending all the money I've spent for someone to just right it off as a virus. I'm keen to know why?? Could this be Nasonex why I'm getting blurred vision, be advised I havent used for x2 weeks and the vision is as bad as it has ever been??

Thanks

I was interested to come across this sight as I'm obviously not alone in having eye problems associated with chronic sinusitis! (which I've had for 2 1/2 years now).I too am using Nasonex and have been seeing a homeopath.This has really helped with the sinuses but I'm having an awful lot of pain in my right eye.I had an eye test and she said the vision in my left eye was perfect but my right eye is all over the place-combination of short and long-sighted!However,when I went to see doctor she just dismissed it which is very worrying as obviously your sight is pretty precios! Having read previous posts though I'm wondering if I might stop using Nasonex for a while and see if this makes any difference.

im 21 years old, and i have vision loss in my left eye. i cant see the right side of my left eye. and i see yellow outlines sometime its hard to explain. it started out as jus a little spot then got worse. i had an mri and found a cyst in my right cheek my sinus is bad i guess. i took steroids and nasonex and antibiotic 4 a 2 week period no improvements. im supposed to see a neurooptomoligist but im broke at the time. so i will go when i can or if the vision gets worse ill go immediatly. I have no pains at all. no headaches really, i do havwe sinus pressure sometimes though. please if anyone is having the same problems please let me know what you did in your case. my doctors dont think that my sinuses have to do with the vision loss but the eye docs do. most the docs ive seen have been clueless which makes this situation very scary 4 me and my family. anyone else out there with this problem your not alone in the battle.

I'm sorry to hear that you are starting to lose vision in one eye but I'm glad to hear that you're not alone, which is the best thing you can hope for. Can you let me know if you have any updates for us?

OMG I can't believe that I finally found this discussion group.....Back in September I had pain and fullness above my right eye, with facial pain and fullness in my sinuses...I have suffered for year with sinus infection and sinusitis...I then got a migraine, again localized to my right side and when I woke up in the morning, my vision was severly impaired in my right eye, peripheral vision loss and colour dullness etc.. I was put on medication for a sinus infection...althought they kept telling me that that wasn't the cause of my vision problems. I was referred to the eye institue for tests as they thought I may have optic neuritis, the eye specialist said he didn't think so and so far has been unable to tell me what happened. It took 12 weeks to get my sight fully back - it was very scary...I also had a CT scan which was totally normal....all my subsequent eye tests have all been normal as well...I still think that my sinuses had to have played a major role as they have been enable to offer me any type of alternatve explanation and I am even further convinced after reading your posts.