hi..i am a male of 42.otherwise i m a healthy man except when this happens to me sometimes.it is so that once or twice in a month it happens suddenly that i start feeling restless and very uneasy.i feel that my heart-beats are beating somewhat abnormally,and then i sweat,and feel as if my hands and feet are trembling.when i feel so,i start thinking about it-is it again?-and the more i think ,the more it grows.it also results in nausea-like feeling a no-no for any food for sometime.then after sometime,say one hour or two,it is gone by itself.first i thought it was some blood-pressure problem,but each time i got it checked when it happened,the BP was all normal.even when it is subsided and i ask myself-is it over?-,i feel like it reoccurs.is it psychological?or something else?please help me.

Hi anand,

You are describing almost the classic anxiety attack. Often, for no particular reason, we begin to focus on some part of our body, our breathing or our heart and as you focus on it your anxiety builds. You get nervous, you breath faster, it throws off the C02 balance in your blood and you get tingling fingers/hands and trembling. You may also get chest pain or nauseous. It becomes self - feeding.

It could be psychological but you need to rule out a physical cause. Have you had a physical exam lately?

Hope it helps.

thanks for the concern shown to me and my post.as you have asked about any physical exam done lately, i had got my ECG and 2D Echo done on march 22.2011 i.e.today.both the reports tell everything is normal.please suggest further.

You're welcome.

Since you've ruled out a physical cause it is most likely psychological. You may want to consider speaking to a psychiatrist/psychologist about this if it continues. They may be able to identify what is triggering these attacks and help you prevent/lessen them.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.