I feel like my hands go all tingly and cold whenever I have a panic attack or just anxiety. Recently I was shocked to see that they had actually turned completely blue. Since the time of first noticing this, it has happened again on several occasions. This is not normal is it? It does not make me feel any better - I was already anxious now I worry about having something wrong with my medical health as well in addition to the anxiety. Is this completely out of the ordinary or does it happen to other people with panic attacks or just having anxiety? 

Celebrity

Hi Pavel,

This is one of those cases where I would immediately suggest getting checked out by a doctor. I am not a doctor so what I can tell you is obviously limited, but I know that blue hands can be associated with thyroid problems for example, and that thyroid problems, especially hyperthyroid, can also cause you to feel jittery and anxious.

In other words, what you think are anxiety attacks might in fact be caused by a medical problem that requires treatment for you to feel better. Things are not always what they seem! And to get the right diagnosis you need that doctor. 

Rosie

Blue colored hands usually signify a lack of oxygen circulation. They are associated with Raynaud's phenomenon, which does get worse with stress and anxiety, and can also be caused by other medical problems. You may be having panic attacks, I am not disputing that, but the blue hands you are describing do require medical attention so that you can rule out serious causes that need quick treatment. If it turns out they are stress related, you can also get help for your anxiety.

Yes, that's called cyanosis. There are some people on the internet who talk about cyanosis during panic attacks, so I guess it's possibly related. Is it safe to assume that though? No, I wouldn't think so. This is one of those cases where seeing a trained medical professional is more than in order. If you had something else going on besides the anxiety, you want to know about it.

Getting help for something anxiety related of course means you have to talk about your anxiety with a medical professional and that can be so daunting that some people keep putting it off. Anxiety is very common and they've seen it all before. Just keep that in mind.

I have never heard that anybody's hands turn blue from anxiety, but I have heard that they can go sweaty, clammy and numb during panic attacks. Panic attacks also cause a rapid heartbeat, which might be related in some way. Something I do know is that though there are breathing techniques and meditations techniques to get through panic attacks at home or wherever else you may be, you will want to get yourself some therapy even if you are planning to rely on natural anxiety remedies rather than being open to phamaceuticals. Therapy really does work. And quickly, too, sometimes. 

I recognize your symptoms. I was not having panic attacks but like you, I was very stressed when my hands started to go blue at first. It did cross my mind that the two were related. But... someone here has already called it, a while later my doctor said I had Raynaud's phenomenon. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure around the same time, and then put on medication for that.

All this to say, and mind you high blood pressure and stress are related in some way, when you are just looking for things yourself you can come to all kinds of conclusions and they may be wrong. You will need medical help to really get what is going on with you, and I would advise you to not let that drag on but just to see a doctor as soon as you can.

Exactly. People suffering from anxiety disorders and panic attacks can still have other physical diagnoses that do interact with their anxiety disorder but are not caused by them. I know from experience that "Dr Google" is a really bad idea in most of these cases so I'm glad that in this case, the person at least asked on a forum rather than just Googling, to get some more balanced views that reach beyond total doom.

I would take this to a doctor, a real doctor, ASAP and see what is going on.

I am the mother of a child who has suffered with anxiety since she was little. She is now a teen, but the symptoms were present even during the preschool years. One of the first things I noticed during what turned out to be panic attacks later on was that her hands became clammy and sweaty, but then also really cold to the touch. I thought she was suffering from a blood sugar problem initially because of that!

Later on, her hands also become blue during anxiety episodes. I have been really worried about it but when I asked doctors, I sadly never got a satisfactory response at all. Actually, my questions were just waved off most of the time and it was not taken seriously.

We have not noticed this recently, and she is now on antidepressants after being diagnosed with panic disorder. I can guess that the medication stopped whatever caused the blue hands in the first place, but it is still in the back of my mind sometimes.

Maybe our story will help you some, or maybe someone reading this might have some answers for us as well.

Celebrity
Hey,

I don't know anything about this but I couldn't read your reply and not answer anything. It's so soul crushing when you are worried about your child and the doctor you are seeing does not seem to think that what you are describing to them is something they need to pay close attention to. They may be the doctor, but you are the one who is around your child all the time. You are the expert on your child.

I am glad that this problem is not in your lives any more, but that does sound very worrying. I know I would have been out of my mind. I would encourage anyone who noticed symptoms and they instinctively know something is wrong but the doctor won't listen to keep on looking for answers. Either look for a second opinion or use the internet, or books, but don't stop trying. When you know something is wrong, you know something is wrong.

This problem sounds at least partially physical to me, rather than just anxiety related. Physical problems can cause anxiety too.

Rosie

I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing your exact symptoms lately. I have a panic attack, all the classic symptoms, and my hands turn blue/grey and feel completely numb. I dismissed it as thinking I was going crazy the first time, then when it happened again, I turned to the internet and found a bunch of different things, including this thread about blue numb hands and panic attacks.

I read about Raynaud's. The thing is that this happens only when I am having panic attacks, not in response to temperature changes, and I know I don't suffer from hypertension as well because I have a blood pressure monitor at home.

Raynaud's is associated with those things, which I don't have. So what is going on? I don't know because I am not finding answers. The closest I have come is literally this thread. All I can think of now is to make an appointment with my doctor, which I will definitely do. I am worried that all I will get is vague talk like what is going on here mind you. Could be Raynaud's, could be anxiety related, could be... X number of things with no clear answers at the end.

What I really want to know is whether this is dangerous in any way, physically. Because it worries me.